Plant Shadows - direction?

DSmith2300

Hi,

I am currently(once again) trying to make sense of the plant shadow settings.

The plans are simple 2D with some colour and shadow from the trees.

I've tried setting it globally via document settings and then tried within individual plant styles. 

Neither budges the shadows at all, except within the sample direction animation in the settings box

I've closed and opened the document. I've tried various tricks to try make it think about the settings, but to no effect.

Any ideas?

Is this a bug with SP4?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @DSmith2300, just want to confirm the 2D linework of your plant. The plant shadow mimics the geometry that's furthest back. If you're using Vectorworks sample plants, they should be organized correctly with a shape either on the Color Fill or Canopy class behind all other geometry. If the class that this geometry sits on, Plants-Component-Color Fill (or Canopy), is off, so will its shadow.

To confirm, edit the 2D Graphics and make sure the geometry you want to mimic a plant shadow is sent to back. Hope this helps!
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.34.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.34.40 AM.png

• Like 1

Thanks Tony.

The shadows were displaying, but refused to change direction.

Of course this morning, when I woke the computer up and tried to change the settings again...voilà! They decide to change.

Now that I've been on VW for almost a year, I find that my main gripe is the unpredictability of the program with things like this.

I'm not sure what background process it thinks it needs to talk to, to eventually deign to follow a users instructions, or not. 

It's utterly baffling, and of course incredibly frustrating.