Make disable Drop shadows a global command

BScott

Question

I never want to use Drop shadow but it keeps sneaking into my drawings because there are so many places it can be applied.  I'm looking at a 2D object right now that is showing a shadow even though I have turned off Drop shadow in every class and layer and also every object that I can find.  There is an option in Preferences to disable Drop shadows but all it does is disable your ability to adjust Drop shadows.  It doesn't disable the shadows themselves.  It would be so much more helpful if you could just disable them globally with this checkbox!

4 answers to this question

Thanks Mark!  I just assumed that the Quick Preferences would work the same as the Preferences, which is apparently not the case. @Zoomer - I don't think i can make a template that saves quick preferences, though it is easy enough to switch them on and off now that I know how the quick preference button works.

I do still think that the Preferences setting should do the same thing as the Quick Preferences button.  I don't understand the point of having a setting that just prevents you from editing the existing drop shadows.

On 9/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, BScott said:

There is an option in Preferences to disable Drop shadows but all it does is disable your ability to adjust Drop shadows.  It doesn't disable the shadows themselves.  It would be so much more helpful if you could just disable them globally with this checkbox!

When I turn off this checkbox under Document Preferences, it DOES disable all the drop shadows in my file. Perhaps what you're experiencing is a bug. Have you tried experimenting in a brand new blank file in case it's an issue with the file you're using?

5 hours ago, SB Lighting said:

I do still think that the Preferences setting should do the same thing as the Quick Preferences button.  I don't understand the point of having a setting that just prevents you from editing the existing drop shadows.

The Quick Preferences button and the Document Preference checkbox are indeed the same setting. When I toggle one, the other toggles as well, and both turn off the display of all Drop Shadows in the file for me.

I think the idea behind all Quick Preferences is that they provide quick access to preferences that exist elsewhere such as VW Prefs and Documents Prefs.