Modeling a Radial Array Lamp

pfalvi

Hi all,

I'm trying to model this lamp for a client, and was wondering if anyone had any brilliant ideas of how to create the outside portion. I've been thinking about Deform Tool, Surface Array, and Marionette, but I haven't gotten to any perfect options yet. The trick that's messing with my brain is the radial spoke-style repetition. NURBS curves don't seem like the best idea because all of the pieces are essentially straight. I've been trying to think if there's a way to tell the program to connect rectangles from an interior NURBS curve to an exterior one, on the tangent in some way...

I also understand that my best option may just be to draw all of the spokes. I'm partially treating it as an exercise for myself to expand out of the basic functions and learn more about advanced modeling techniques. 

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

My approach would be a little different and the Subdivision tool is perfect for this. Once you get the hang of the tool which is admittedly quite a learning curve, then the actual modelling of the shade is a synch. If you don't know the tool then this is a perfect project to learn with.

There are several steps, but the first thing you need to do is create a SubD Object from a simple 6-sided Polygon which can be made using the Regular Polygon tool. Use the Convert to Subdivision command to do this.

Thereafter you need to extrude the shape to the thickness you want and then use the scale mode to create the cone shape with the top vertices.

When you have finished modelling and you are happy with the shape, then you are probably best copy the SubD object and convert it into a Generic Solid. Then apply a lattice texture. The SubD object is great for creating geometry like this but will only accept rudimentary texture mapping, so the conversion to the Generic Solid will probably be a necessary step.

Here is the result.

2046436382_Lampshade.thumb.png.95ec231bc32ce08ac179de76fc7344fa.png

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4

Lots of ways! Cool everyone!

Here is another take, assuming desired shape is more of a potato chip than a cone.  Final shape can be shelled if thickness is desired.

If the client wants the reeds to actually weave, well, that's gonna be a hard row to hoe!

Starting point for wrapped reeds on the central globe might be the Deform Tool twist solids mode. I didn't test it yet.

-B

image.thumb.png.632d2bdd260d99b9cee4baa03cd0fe01.png

image.thumb.png.d4940817b84f37cd2dbfcaf9fd62465c.png

• Like 3

Wow, thanks everyone! This was really helpful. I combined a few things you all pointed out, and came up with this: 

image.thumb.png.4b28a00f6d8aa57a76f39cfdce3c99c2.png

I got a little silly with it- I made a nurbs curve that was the outer ring (I know my Z-Heights are a little off...), and then drew a line tangential to the center circle. Extruded a little rectangle along that path, and then duplicate arrayed that around the circle. And then spent quite a while adjusting the end points of the Extrude Along Path to connect to the Z height to the outer nurbs curve. 

Things that didn't totally work- none of the bars are curved, so they all cut right through each other. Still some work to do, but partway there!

I did try to use a texture, but couldn't find one that fit exactly what I wanted it to look like. 

Thanks again, all. Privileged to have this forum.

• Like 3