Space Plan Matrix No Show

In VW Architect 11.0 on Windows XP

I have created a new VW worksheet to serve as an Adjacency Matrix. Under Windows Menu / Worksheets / New Matrix, Old Matrix. Under Resource Browser / Worksheets / Old Matrix (new matrix doesn't show). I can open and edit it from the Window menu, but I can't use it to create a Space Plan.

How can I get the new Matrix to show in the Resource Browser? And how can I get the Matrix Worksheet to show on the drawing? A VW9 version had a "show on drawing" option on the worksheet. Obviously, I am missing something here. [Confused]

If I need to import the WS as spreadsheet file, how can I export it first? Thanks for your help.

Since version 10, Architect has to import adjacency matrices from external files, to create bubble diagrams and stacking diagrams. So open the worksheet with the data, and use "Export Worksheet" (in the File -> Export menu) to export the data to an external file. Then use "Import Adjacency Matrix" to create a bubble diagram and stacking diagram from the data.

Charles,

When I export the worksheet as a text file, then Import Adjacency Matrix, I get the note: "Create Space Objects in drawing to see Adjacency Matrix here." But what I'm trying to do is have the Matrix create a Bubble Diagram automatically, as it did in past versions. The Object-first procedure is not appropriate for my needs. I'm trying to follow the User's Guide, but I still seem to be missing something. The Matrix-first procedure seems to be counter-intuitive: create WS, export WS, import Matrix, create Bubble-diagram manually to see the Matrix. Any more suggestions? Thanks, JE

I was thrown off by the "Create Space Object . ." note on the drawing. I was expecting to see the objects drawn automatically, or at least to see the Matrix on the drawing. Later, I found the Matrix in the Resource Browser and placed it on the drawing. But I still can't figure out how to get the Matrix to create the Space Objects automatically. Am I mis-reading the User Guide: "A bubble diagram is inserted into a drawing automatically when an adjacency matrix is imported."

For diagnostic purposes, try importing the sample adjacency matrix ([VectorWorks]:Extras:Samples:Adjacency Matrix.csv). Make sure that the options in the dialog are set as they are shown in the printed manual, which are the correct settings for that file. Click OK, and a bubble diagram should be created for you, including space objects and space link objects. If that works, but you cannot import your file, then check the settings in the dialog. But if you have adjacency matrix data (area, name, department, etc.), you definitely should not have to create any space objects manually; they should be created automatically for you.

I agree that having to create a worksheet, and then export it, and then import it again, is a roundabout way of doing things. I originally planned to support both external files as well as internal worksheets as sources of adjacency data. As it turns out, I did the import routine first, and then I got pulled off to work on other stuff, so I never got to create the support for adjacency data in a VW worksheet. I'll get to it sooner or later... [smile]

Charles,

The User Guide is vague on the process for creating an adjacency matrix in a worksheet. I looked at the .CSV sample and tried to follow that example. But something must be wrong. The exported and re-imported WS is a .TXT file. The WS displays on the drawing, but I don't

see any Bubble Diagram. Should I change the extension to .CSV so VW will recognize it as a Matrix?

The VW 11 space planning tools seem to be intended to work just backward from what I am used to. For government work, I am given a list of rooms and proposed areas. It would be easiest for me to just enter that data in a worksheet and have VW automatically draw rectangles at the porposed area(I can reshape later, if necessary). Adjacency info is nice but not necessary on small projects.

Thanks for your help, JE

Yes, you're missing something... [smile] If you already have a list of rooms and areas, you don't have to create a worksheet and enter the data; you just import the list directly. Try this:

1. Create a new blank text file.

2. Enter the following data, making sure that there is a tab separating the room name and the room area:

living room 300

dining room 400

kitchen 500

3. Save and close the file.

4. Run "Import Adjacency Matrix" (in the AEC -> Space Planning menu).

5. Use the Browse button to locate the file that you just created.

6. Make the following settings:

Header Rows: 0

Row Spacing: 0

Field Delimiter: tab

Department: unchecked

Space: 1

Area: 2

Relationships: unchecked

7. Click OK.

8. Three space objects will be created, with the area specified.

For your type of work, I don't see how it could be any easier, but yes, it does work exactly backwards from the way it used to.

Charles,

Thanks for the clarification. I followed your instructions, and now I see how it's supposed to work. Unfortunately, it still has problems. The LR and DR spaces display properly, but the Kitchen space doesn't show as a box or in the matrix. Also the matrix, with only two space names and no area size, is way out of scale on the drawing.

I still don't understand why my worksheet with relationships doesn't work properly. It was exported as a text document. I don't know if the worksheet formatting is retained in the .txt file.

Anyway, for now I have just done the bubble diagram manually. It's a small buiding, so it didn't take long. Maybe you will have time to tweak the Space Planning tools for the next update. Thanks again, JE