2022 - 3D and BIM Workflow Upgrades for Maximum Performance

JuanP

Hi,

i don't think the the picture shown above, is a freeform modeled room.

I think and hope thats are improved walls with more abilities.

I looks like this year, we get wall-layers following complex forms and fully

modeled direct to the inserted window (inside: red layer and outside: blue layer),

which is a great success for a much better 3D presentation of the model.

Hope we also get the calculation formulas (for the tables) for those complex layers / forms.

/ / / 

The direct modeling abilites for stairs are also very welcome.

I hope they didn't stop to implement this tech only at the stair tool.

This tech (click and drag) could also also be handy to manipulate walls, windows, doors ...

Edited by Tobias Kern
  • Like 3
On 9/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, JuanP said:

With Vectorworks 2022, we continue to make great advancements in our support of your 3D and BIM workflows. With a continued focus on re-engineering and modernization of core architectural objects and data reporting to support the creation of precise BIM models, Vectorworks 2022 offers workflow improvements for greater precision, control, and accuracy for both the visual model and the corresponding data.

Any specifics at all available here?

Are their changes to how walls and windows work?

We can see some updates to the stair tool - is that just some control handles on the stair object as we know it - or is it a new tool all together?

These Teasers are not as much fun as last year....  Feed the beast.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

From what I read, directly talk with the GPU (metal/directX), multicore and VGM upgrades, it seems that VW 2022 will also be great for old PC's. I think that by upgrading from v2012 you will receive a gigantic performance improvement. The adjusted hardware requirements are more focused towards Redshift rendering, which is more GPU intensive. I guess we will find out when the 2022 (trail) gets released.

Edited by MarcelP102
4 hours ago, unearthed said:

Oh well, I'll almost certainly stay  with 2012, especially after reading the hardware reqs, unless I can find a 2018 license.

Still too many bells and whistles and no evidence of many of the norms in the CAD world.

Guess it depends on your workflow.  If the line tool is the only tool you are using - then you might be right.  But despite the griping and complaining - there have been some big improvements in the last 10 years. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, unearthed said:

Oh well, I'll almost certainly stay  with 2012, especially after reading the hardware reqs, unless I can find a 2018 license.

Still too many bells and whistles and no evidence of many of the norms in the CAD world.

@unearthedCan you cite some examples of the "many of the norms in the CAD world" which you deem to be missing?

On 9/15/2021 at 9:05 AM, dtheory said:

@unearthedCan you cite some examples of the "many of the norms in the CAD world" which you deem to be missing?

Well IDK for 2022 but the last time I looked - for 2018, I couldn't see: 

Automate heights/labels/dimensions along a vertical curve, which is a basic need in CAD.

A working live link between access/Excel and other database systems - ACAD had excel linking in 2004. I spent literal days trying to link Excel to VW from when it was supposedly enabled - but it seems to have have misdirection at best.

A commandline to enable on-the-fly scripting and simple commands e.g. autolisp (it's very nice to use)

A real calculator (squares, roots and more) that outputs to to the object being drawn e.g length of line, radius etc.

Topological editing for esp. the Property Line tool. Changing one polygon should result in all surrounding polygons updating 12D - for instance has this.

Many of my jobs are multi-title and large areas with lot of terrain. I'm very build/planting focused and my clients don't want fancy renderings (I view fancy renderings as fundamentally dishonest for a whole range of reasons esp that they get clients to day yes too soon, and that they are unrealisable. Plus they are costly to produce). 

I like VW for what it is, an internal spreadsheet IS very useful (no other CAD I know has the facility) but if I could EASILY setup a link with Excel, R, (and live link with prose text files) it would be so much better.

• JuanP unfeatured and unpinned this topic