How to Share Symbols

Nina Agelvis

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to share an updated custom library between users in Vectorworks through Google Drive. I have built custom CAD devices and have been updating my template, but it's not as efficient since everyone would still need to download it and upload it to their User Folder. Is there a possibility if we all use the same User Folder on the Google Drive? How would I create my own custom library so that it shows up everytime I open Vectorworks?

Thank you!

-Nina Agelvis

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Nina Agelvis,

You can try using workgroup folders stored on a server. However, you cannot update your workgroup folders directly from VW so you would have to use the good old text file editing or copy pasting between your user folder and workgroup folder if you want to make multiple changes to the workgroup folder. You can get move info in the help site here - https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FWorkgroup%2FSharing_custom_content_using_workgroup_folders.htm&rhsearch=workgroup&rhhlterm=workgroup&rhsyns=

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

The other perhaps simpler way is to create a “Library File”, place it in a shared location and for everyone to make it a favourite via their resource manager.

We don’t use google drive so I’m not sure if there are any complications there but I would think not.

A workgroup is a good idea though. You can then put your templates in the shared workgroup “templates” folder and everyone will see them in a templates list when they go to create a new file..

Edited by Boh

Workgroup folders are the way to go. Google Drive has a sync option, you can just create your workgroup folder in the drive.

You CAN also update your workgroup folder library directly from within Vectorworks.

if you add a workgroup folder in the Vectorworks preferences, the correct structure will be created at the chosen location. To add you library to it, just copy it via Explorer/Finder. Once the library has been added you can add new symbols by dragging them in the ressource browser from your active file to the wanted location in the workgroup folder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 1:49 AM, Peter Vandewalle said:

Workgroup folders are the way to go. Google Drive has a sync option, you can just create your workgroup folder in the drive.

You CAN also update your workgroup folder library directly from within Vectorworks.

if you add a workgroup folder in the Vectorworks preferences, the correct structure will be created at the chosen location. To add you library to it, just copy it via Explorer/Finder. Once the library has been added you can add new symbols by dragging them in the ressource browser from your active file to the wanted location in the workgroup folder.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! The workgroup folders worked but now I'm wanting to use that same workgroup folder for VW 2021. Is it possible to share workgroup folders between VW versions? Currently that workgroup folder is being used for my VW 2022 Beta version. I tried doing the same exact steps for VW 2021 but I don't see the folder showing up when I restart the program. Would I need to make a separate library?