Bounding/association of walls that cross slabs?

line-weight

I tend to shy away from using automatic bounding of walls and slabs for fear that it will just cause me more headaches than time savings... but am trying it out a bit on one project.

Am I right in understanding that I can't automatically associate a wall that crosses a slab (rather than sits on its boundary) with that slab? Or am I missing something?

For example in the scenario below, the slab has two components. I want the internal partition walls to sit on top of the bottom slab component (a structural slab), and I want the top slab component (floor finishes) to run up to the walls and be interrupted by them.

Is it correct I can't make that happen automatically - basically I have to split the slab into two single-component slabs and then shape the "floor finishes" slab around the walls?

348162963_Screenshot2021-09-03at11_30_37.thumb.jpg.03f3a82510e0ef40af50cbf29ddc3f94.jpg

I have separate structural slabs + floor finish slabs: the walls bear on the structural slab then the floor finish slabs run up to the walls. So one structural slab for the whole building then separate floor finish slabs for each space depending on the finish in each case.

Or you could use Clip Surface to cut the required channel in the top slab component

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I have separate structural slabs + floor finish slabs: the walls bear on the structural slab then the floor finish slabs run up to the walls. So one structural slab for the whole building then separate floor finish slabs for each space depending on the finish in each case.

Yes, can see the logic in this. However I'm currently drawing up a building where external walls sit on slab, internal walls sit on a screed on top of that slab, and then floor finishes run between the walls... so I'd need 3 different slabs which is a bit unwieldy but perhaps that's how it has to be.

Currently trying slab+screed as one slab object, with screed component offset manually at edges, and then a finishes slab on top.

45 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Or you could use Clip Surface to cut the required channel in the top slab component

Thanks, hadn't realised this is an option. Looks like you can't do it within a slab though (has to overlap an edge).

And it won't adjust automatically if I move walls.

It would be useful if a slab object could be told to chop certain components anywhere it's beneath a wall object.

2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Thanks, hadn't realised this is an option. Looks like you can't do it within a slab though (has to overlap an edge).

You should definitely be able to clip a shape within the slab without overlapping an edge. I have tried just now + it's displaying some weird behaviour. I had to double-click + edit the modifiers to get it to work.... The same when I tried to clip a whole through all the components. Had to edit the modifiers for it to take effect. Bug.

The other option is the 'Subtract 3D Object from Slab' command but yes, would also need to edit the modifier separately if/when you wanted to move the wall. The Archicad approach sounds good

Edited by Tom W.
34 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

You should definitely be able to clip a shape within the slab without overlapping an edge. I have tried just now + it's displaying some weird behaviour. I had to double-click + edit the modifiers to get it to work.... The same when I tried to clip a whole through all the components. Had to edit the modifiers for it to take effect. Bug.

Hm...sounds a bit like the buggy behaviour I get trying to add or subtract features from walls... and this buggy behaviour puts me off using it.

Walls & Floors are absolutely fundamental objects... they really need to be reliable and shouldn't have these kinds of bugs. No doubt it'll all be fixed and working perfectly in VW2022.

18 hours ago, MarcelP102 said:

Would be great if Vectorworks worked the same as Archicad. With Archicad each material / 'component' has a 'priority' that controls automatically the cut order. So a construction 'component' of a wall has a higher priority than the finish layer of a slab. This result that the construction layer automatically gets cut out of the floor finish. When you move the wall everything gets updated.

Vectorworks walls and slabs have a similar 'priority' but this only works with 'bound' slabs.  Does ArchiCAD clip slabs that are not bound by walls, as in this example, where the wall crossing the slab is not interacting with the slab?  If so, how do you associate a wall crossing a slab with the slab, or conversely ensure the wall does not interact with the slab because I can see that being more of a pain.

When modelling finishes, it is quite normal to model multiple slabs.  The 'structural' slab, is associated to the external walls.  The 'finish', i.e. floor or ceiling is associated to the walls bounding the room.  That's how it will be built ergo that is how it should be modelled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 10:10 AM, MarcelP102 said:

Would be great if Vectorworks worked the same as Archicad. With Archicad each material / 'component' has a 'priority' that controls automatically the cut order. So a construction 'component' of a wall has a higher priority than the finish layer of a slab. This result that the construction layer automatically gets cut out of the floor finish. When you move the wall everything gets updated.

Archicad keep "inspirating" in Vectorworks, they have classes now, Vectorworks could take some ideas from Archicad, like Stacked Walls, speedier sections and elevations, real life bounding options for materials, a usable stair tool, and MEP tools, and the list goes on...