Easier dimensions for sheet layer viewports :)

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

To add dimensions in sheet layers, we have to enter into an annotation 'layer' of the individual viewport.

Making changes involves a lot of clicking with the mouse.

I wish, we could just add the dimensions right there in the sheet without ever leaving the 'top layer'.

The dimensions would somehow automatically adjust to the scale of the viewport underneath - and would automatically change when the scale of the viewport is changed and move, when the viewport is moved.

And why not?

12 answers to this question

Both of you are correct.  It is super cumbersome to always click to enter the annotation space.  But once contained viewports do function as a useful organizational tool.

How about splitting the difference?  What if there was a key command or some other shortcut to enter the annotation space using a single command?  If you could break out the functions separately, then all the clicking could be turned into a programmable key command or mouse click.

1522833470_ScreenShot2021-09-02at11_10_26AM.thumb.png.bda27f96b016edc4836e1e6d46e06c80.png

53 minutes ago, cberg said:

Both of you are correct.  It is super cumbersome to always click to enter the annotation space.  But once contained viewports do function as a useful organizational tool.

How about splitting the difference?  What if there was a key command or some other shortcut to enter the annotation space using a single command?  If you could break out the functions separately, then all the clicking could be turned into a programmable key command or mouse click.

FYI - You can configure the viewport to automatically go into annotations just by double clicking on it.  Once you’ve set that up, you can configure a key command to issue “edit viewport”, which is CMD+[ by default.  So, you could actually set it up the way your are suggesting already 🙂

You can then access the crop/design layer/camera via right click.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

FYI - You can configure the viewport to automatically go into annotations just by double clicking on it.

Yes, this is what I have set up.

Maybe i'm misappropriating my frustration with the amount of clicking that VW requires on this element. I remember reading a request on the wishlist that VW should hire someone who's specific role was to reduce the amount of clicking required!

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, _James said:

Yes, this is what I have set up.

Maybe i'm misappropriating my frustration with the amount of clicking that VW requires on this element. I remember reading a request on the wishlist that VW should hire someone who's specific role was to reduce the amount of clicking required!

I have to ask…Is it really excessive clicking?  Normally, you have to select an object (click) to then issue a command.  I find double clicking to issue a command the fastest thing you can do, especially when compared to click to select and activating a command.  What would be the ideal way to get into the annotation space of a viewport?  Is there an example of how other softwares handle this in a better way?

10 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

I have to ask…Is it really excessive clicking?  Normally, you have to select an object (click) to then issue a command.  I find double clicking to issue a command the fastest thing you can do, especially when compared to click to select and activating a command.  What would be the ideal way to get into the annotation space of a viewport?  Is there an example of how other softwares handle this in a better way?

The issue for me is the clicking involved in entering + exiting the annotation layers of multiple VPs one after the other. So if you have a sheet with 6 or 7 VPs on it + you need to adjust the annotations across all of them it can be a bit laborious going in + out of each annotation layer individually. I'm thinking things like moving/aligning the drawing labels so that they align across the sheet as a whole. Or perhaps adjusting the dimensions so that they align across several VPs. I completely agree that the advantages of annotations beying grouped + contained within each VP probably outweigh the inconvenience of having to enter + exit them all the time. And there are probably things I could be doing to improve my workflow + ensure that things align better in the first place + don't need adjusting afterwards. But would it be a stupid idea to suggest being able to select multiple VPs + edit the annotations across all of them at once? 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

The issue for me is the clicking involved in entering + exiting the annotation layers of multiple VPs one after the other. So if you have a sheet with 6 or 7 VPs on it + you need to adjust the annotations across all of them it can be a bit laborious going in + out of each annotation layer individually. I'm thinking things like moving/aligning the drawing labels so that they align across the sheet as a whole. Or perhaps adjusting the dimensions so that they align across several VPs. I completely agree that the advantages of annotations beying grouped + contained within each VP probably outweigh the inconvenience of having to enter + exit them all the time. And there are probably things I could be doing to improve my workflow + ensure that things align better in the first place + don't need adjusting afterwards. But would it be a stupid idea to suggest being able to select multiple VPs + edit the annotations across all of them at once? 

These are all greats points and something I think about a lot. I agree there's too much clicking involved in the adding and modification of Annotations, but the "organizational" aspect works exactly how it should. I'm not too sure how it could be improved without breaking existing benefits/workflows.

Just spitballing... What if there was an "Annotations Mega Mode" where ALL Annotations across all viewports on the current sheet became accessible. You could select multiple drawing labels at once, for example, and Align them easily. Or you could dimension a sheet of elevations uninterrupted. There'd have to be clear rules about how this mode works. For example, all existing annotations would stay associated with the viewport they're already in, regardless of where the objects are moved on the page. And adding NEW objects would automatically associate to the snapped-to object or nearest viewport. Perhaps the currently-disabled "Layer" dropdown in the OIP changes to be a "Viewport" dropdown allowing you to see and/or select which viewport an object lives in.

This would make annotating a sheet immensely easier and less clickful. Obviously there are complications to work through such as what happens when you have viewports of different scales at the same time, and suddenly everything is accessible at once? Remember some parameters are page-based and some are world-based. It'd be possible to have 12 pt and 24 pt font look exactly the same side by side, for example. Regardless, it'd be worth exploring some way to make the annotations of multiple viewports editable simultaneously.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3

@Tom W.& @Andy Broomell this notion of a unified annotation editing method would actually be really convenient, especially in regards to lining up drawing titles and copying notes from one viewport to another.  That really seems to be where things could be improved.

Back in the old days of 2D, it wasn’t so bad to layout a bunch of elevations and sections in design layers and just do annotation there. However, the 3D BIM workflow really dictates the use of annotation space in a viewport unless you want to get nostalgic and create views on design layers and annotate them there LOL.  How far we we’ve come only to create new issues 🙂

I do not wish that 'top level dimensioning' should replace the annotation layer, but supplement it.

Besides dimensions, I use the annotation layer for all sorts of stuff like 2D section details.

But I often have several viewports in one sheet - and I reuse them all the time by duplicating a sheet - and then change the layer setting of the viewports to reflect a different component.

For that purpose - among several, it would be nice to just delete all dimensions on the sheet and start on a clean slate.

There should probably always be more than one way to achieve functions, that are performed so regularly as dimensioning.

To be able to do this in the top level of the sheet is very plug-and-play-ish.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
spelling
  • Like 1
On 9/3/2021 at 5:44 PM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

I do not wish that 'top level dimensioning' should replace the annotation layer, but supplement it.

Besides dimensions, I use the annotation layer for all sorts of stuff like 2D section details.

But I often have several viewports in one sheet - and I reuse them all the time by duplicating a sheet - and then change the layer setting of the viewports to reflect a different component.

For that purpose - among several, it would be nice to just delete all dimensions on the sheet and start on a clean slate.

There should probably always be more than one way to achieve functions, that are performed so regularly as dimensioning.

To be able to do this in the top level of the sheet is very plug-and-play-ish.

Shame that, I'd be more than happy to see annotation space done away with like this.

Allow not just dimensions to associate with viewport and pick up scale but also allow notes and tags to associate and read scaled data out of them.

If we have multiple viewports on a page they are all related, like larger scale section cut into pieces to get all the interesting parts on one page or internal elevations. avoiding the need to jump in and out of different viewport annotations would be a real advantage. 

Maybe there is a direct edit approach that moves the objects into annotation and takes use in as well to reduce friction.