Dreaded truss cross objects

symo

Im finding myself constantly at odds with the Truss Cross objects & constantly deleting them - sometimes layers of them after a single action (adding or deleting truss, lights, etc). Theres absolutely no use for them in my current workflow. Can these be disabled?

Cheers

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I was told a couple years ago that there isn't a way to turn them off, as it is part of the Braceworks module. I think that it is still true, but I haven't dug into it for a while. My solution is to create a class that is always hidden and every so often run my script to select them and then re-class them. The name of my hidden class is "Truss Cross Turds".

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, stayathomedad said:

I was told a couple years ago that there isn't a way to turn them off, as it is part of the Braceworks module. I think that it is still true, but I haven't dug into it for a while. My solution is to create a class that is always hidden and every so often run my script to select them and then re-class them. The name of my hidden class is "Truss Cross Turds".

I had forgotten about this thread but was reminded again when the stupid truss cross objects started harassing me again. I like the sound of your script idea - but have no experience with them. Can you shed any light on how to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Try this:

DSelectAll; SelectObj(INSYMBOL & INVIEWPORT & (PON='BrxCustomTrussCross'));

SetClassN(FSActLayer, 'Truss Cross Turds', True);

Use whatever name you want for the class, but I still like Truss Cross Turds.

Symo, I too know very little about scripting, but started learning by using the custom selection tool to create a VectorScript. I then found and edited that newly created script inside the newly created script folder that was in the Resource Manager. My experience so far has been that once I committed to understanding scripting better, it was pretty easy to get answers from the VW Help portal and these forums.

image.png.35a9772021266bb4c9215dd9b443e18b.png

Mickey, I said those same things about Braceworks in the past but have been spending a good chunk of time getting it to work for what I do. I'm coming around to almost liking it. The bottom line is that it is a tool that will be used in our industry and whether a production rigger like myself uses it or not, there is a need to understand how it works. When a person runs into someone that is using BW but only half way understands it and is making decisions on bad data, it will be very valuable to understand how to use BW properly.

Edited by stayathomedad
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, SketchyJed33 said:

Here is the easy answer without having to do any crazy programming

File > Document settings > Spotlight Prefs > Loads and Rigging tab, check box on the bottom , then go into your drawing and turn off that class. 

For a bit VW23 seemed to be better. I was getting a little better results with 5 way corners, but still ran into the limitations of BW but then the truss turds came back.

I couldn't remember how I got rid of them and came back to  this thread to find the script.

I see your solution, and that must be an addition to 23  which is great.

But I think they should have followed @stayathomedad and called them "Truss Cross Turds" because that's what they are.