Apple macOS 12 Monterey Compatibility - Feedback

JuanP

Screen Resolution has been an issue for me with Big Sur 11.6. On my iMac Pro I set my second display at lower resolution so I can see the fine type in VW menus. I randomly have issues of text blocks turning pink when I switch views from viewports to design level. I had to stop doing that. I put my reading glasses close by. So the OS wants all displays set to default. I will update and compare to see if it’s fixed.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, trashcan said:

Can we get some verification from you guys that 12.1 works properly with VWX 2022 both for M1s and Intel based Mac machines?

We are still testing the version released on Monday. However, we are starting to get reports from customers that after updating to macOS 12.1, the issues with the Save as, and Export menus are gone. We will be updating the Monterey article with more information in a day or two.

10 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

Screen Resolution has been an issue for me with Big Sur 11.6. On my iMac Pro I set my second display at lower resolution so I can see the fine type in VW menus. I randomly have issues of text blocks turning pink when I switch views from viewports to design level. I had to stop doing that. I put my reading glasses close by. So the OS wants all displays set to default. I will update and compare to see if it’s fixed.

If the hardware in your signature is accurate, I can jump in to help:

• MacPro 5.1 {2010} 6 core 3.46Ghz - That's a 9-year old Machine that's not supported by Apple for Monterey (the 2013 Trash Can is the oldest Mac Pro that's still supported)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Apple stopped supporting NVIDIA with Mojave (including the web drivers)
20 hours ago, Ian Lane said:

I would recommend updating to Monterey 12.1.  If you do, please try to scale your display again and hopefully everything should work fine again in the new OS version.  Please let us know if you decide to do this.

Thanks for the info!

I updated my Mac to 12.1 and now I can scale my screen, use both screen, and saves and exports work fine.

Everything seems to be good now.  Thanks.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

If the hardware in your signature is accurate, I can jump in to help:

• MacPro 5.1 {2010} 6 core 3.46Ghz - That's a 9-year old Machine that's not supported by Apple for Monterey (the 2013 Trash Can is the oldest Mac Pro that's still supported)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Apple stopped supporting NVIDIA with Mojave (including the web drivers)

Mark, I updated to a Imac Pro 10 core 3 years ago. So my hardware signature is NOT correct. However I still have the old Pro as a backup/server. The next Apple up date (m1) will have us all splurging for new machines. I will have to get way more work to support Apple.

Note : my main client's basement has 5 Mac G5 CPUs  piled up and unused from the last time Apple changed course. That was more than 10K up in smoke.

I changed my signature and removed the Old Mac Pro it has become an antique from 2010.

Edited by rjtiedeman
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, rjtiedeman said:

Mark, I updated to a Imac Pro 10 core 3 years ago. So my hardware signature is NOT correct. However I still have the old Pro as a backup/server. The next Apple up date (m1) will have us all splurging for new machines. I will have to get way more work to support Apple.

In the meantime, you have very good taste. Those are 2 of my all time favorite Macs. Fingers crossed for more work to support Apple... 

1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

Happy anniversary to the 3Dconnexion macOS driver that used to be updated 3x / year before Monterey!

1156249008_ScreenShot2021-12-16at12_14_50PM.png.a18a9ac4762ef419398e411006cddf28.png

Yes, it's a little worrying isn't it?

I think I am currently using the "beta" for Big Sur that still hasn't got beyond that status...

You prompted me to look at the thread on the 3dx forum...looks like they night actually release something soon.

https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39825&sid=21dcc3dad083434a263401449b07a542&start=900

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Yes, it's a little worrying isn't it?

I think I am currently using the "beta" for Big Sur that still hasn't got beyond that status...

You prompted me to look at the thread on the 3dx forum...looks like they night actually release something soon.

https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39825&sid=21dcc3dad083434a263401449b07a542&start=900

I also hear the beta is working fine based on feedback here in the VW forums.

What's disappointing is that 3DC is a Windows-first CAM company, so Mac CAD/3D design users get what we get, and we like it! In this case, a little beta... as a treat. That's not a dis at 3DC. Apple pulls the rug out from under them every year. I still have to unplug my wired CadMouse from my external monitor every time I restart. And I miss having regular driver updates / improvements throughout the year. Meanwhile, Windows is completely backward compatible. I'm really just sick of Apple's scorched earth policy. End rant.

(Just kidding; the rant never ends.)

17 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I also hear the beta is working fine based on feedback here in the VW forums.

What's disappointing is that 3DC is a Windows-first CAM company, so Mac CAD/3D design users get what we get, and we like it! In this case, a little beta... as a treat. That's not a dis at 3DC. Apple pulls the rug out from under them every year. I still have to unplug my wired CadMouse from my external monitor every time I restart. And I miss having regular driver updates / improvements throughout the year. Meanwhile, Windows is completely backward compatible. I'm really just sick of Apple's scorched earth policy. End rant.

(Just kidding; the rant never ends.)

I updated to Mac OS Monterey 12.1 and may iMac Pro is working better than it did on OS 11.6. The latest 3d connection beta drivers (3408) from 12/13/21 seem to be working ok. My Mac feels snappier and it doesn't crash when I shut it down so it's GOOD NEWS.

Note-1: during testing OS 12.1 Vectorworks - Renderworks locked up rendering a display project last night. I went to the desktop quit all other running apps and when I got back the rendering had finished. The force quit said VW -not responding but it finally did so I didn't loose any work. I am puzzled but relieved and will turn on auto save from now on.

Note-2: 3DC - BETA VERSION r3408  -" Dec 13, 2021: fix single Archicad instance issue (MAC-320), fix unresponsive 3D mouse (MAC-323), added CadMouse configuration for zBursh in "release candidate 1" (RC1, revision r3408)."

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

The force quit said VW -not responding but it finally did so I didn't loose any work. I am puzzled but relieved and will turn on auto save from now on.

Probably pointing out the obvious here but for anyone reading this that isn't aware... VW used to crash when it ran out of memory but sometime around 2016, that changed. Since then, macOS will say "Application Not Responding" but more often than not, VW will pull out of that nose dive before crashing.

Worst case scenario, another 15 min go by, Activity Monitor shows that CPU/GPU/RAM are nowhere near being pegged, and I have to Force Quit VW because it's hung (on what exactly, I have no idea; guessing old code that's stuck in an Infinite Loop). But I always make a pot of coffee or take the dog for a walk before throwing in the towel on that error message. Hope that helps someone.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok,   so I'm used to Vectorworks crashing at this point,   but wow with SP2 it seems to be much worse,  It used to be force quit (or the application would just disappear) re-launch and get as much work done as you can before the next crash.  Now Vectorworks seems to be bringing my entire machine to its knees,    have to physically power off.   Completely unresponsive.     This only happens using Vectorworks. 

VW 2022 SP2 on Monterey 12.1 using 2 - 2K Thunderbolt Displays and 1 - 4k Vizio TV.  

This happens during basic 3D modeling,   push-pull,   navigating,  and shaded view walkthroughs.  

image.png.137cf244e634027ee8550d6629e8d30b.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
29 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Ok,   so I'm used to Vectorworks crashing at this point,   but wow with SP2 it seems to be much worse,  It used to be force quit (or the application would just disappear) re-launch and get as much work done as you can before the next crash.  Now Vectorworks seems to be bringing my entire machine to its knees,    have to physically power off.   Completely unresponsive.     This only happens using Vectorworks. 

VW 2022 SP2 on Monterey 12.1 using 2 - 2K Thunderbolt Displays and 1 - 4k Vizio TV.  

This happens during basic 3D modeling,   push-pull,   navigating,  and shaded view walkthroughs.  

image.png.137cf244e634027ee8550d6629e8d30b.png

Wesley, I'll contact you off the list to gather some additional information.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Ian M. said:

I am still on Vectorworks 2019 with latest updates, and I am finding that the screen does not refresh after I make a change, edit, etc.  I have to pan, zoom, etc. in order for the change to be displayed.

Vectorworks crashes when I try to import .rvt files

I don't think 2019 is supported to work in Monterey. At least not according to the VW system requirements page.

https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq?version=2019

The future is now.

914808094_ScreenShot2022-01-14at8_39_17PM.png.203e103538aceb96f7b0804665203279.png

https://3dconnexion.com/us/drivers/

Release of January 13, 2021

• Update 3DxWare 10 to version 10.7.0.
  • New: Support Apple macOS 11 “Big Sur” and 12 “Monterey”.
  • New: Add support for “Apple Silicon” system (ARM64 architecture).
  • New: Add support for Autodesk Maya version 2022.
  • New: Add support for Adobe Photoshop desktop v. 22.x for macOS on Intel and ARM64. Note: Extensive refactoring of the driver (kernel extension removed).

Supported Operating Systems

• Apple macOS 10.15 (“Catalina”)
  • Apple macOS 11 (“Big Sur”)
  • Apple macOS 12 (“Monterey”)
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

The future is now.

914808094_ScreenShot2022-01-14at8_39_17PM.png.203e103538aceb96f7b0804665203279.png

https://3dconnexion.com/us/drivers/

Release of January 13, 2021

• Update 3DxWare 10 to version 10.7.0.
  • New: Support Apple macOS 11 “Big Sur” and 12 “Monterey”.
  • New: Add support for “Apple Silicon” system (ARM64 architecture).
  • New: Add support for Autodesk Maya version 2022.
  • New: Add support for Adobe Photoshop desktop v. 22.x for macOS on Intel and ARM64. Note: Extensive refactoring of the driver (kernel extension removed).

Supported Operating Systems

• Apple macOS 10.15 (“Catalina”)
  • Apple macOS 11 (“Big Sur”)
  • Apple macOS 12 (“Monterey”)

Supposedly the wired CadMouse is supported but mine is bricked now. Backward incompatibility is the new definition of progress. Why am I still on a Mac?

Release notes attached here:

Release_Notes-Mac-2022014.pdf

My original CADMouse USB runs fine.

Have you accepted and signed all (about 5 times) questions for Apple Privacy rights

while installing and rebooted afterwards ?

Had this too in the past and it worked after uninstalling, reboot, installing, reboot.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2
On 1/15/2022 at 6:02 AM, zoomer said:

My original CADMouse USB runs fine.

Have you accepted and signed all (about 5 times) questions for Apple Privacy rights

while installing and rebooted afterwards ?

Had this too in the past and it worked after uninstalling, reboot, installing, reboot.

I'm still on Catalina, so there was only 1 security prompt. I thought the 10.7.0 driver required a firmware update to be compatible with Big Sur (that broke compatibility with Catalina).

Yes, Big Sur Beta driver needed a Firmware Update for my original CADMouse

starting from a certain Beta release (?)

So I think this is also true for official 10.7 driver too.

At that time there was only a flash tool for Windows available, which I did on

my PC. AFAIK there is now also a Mac Tool available. 

Looks like they took down the former FAQ page with the link to the Firmware :

https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39825

So you should file a support request.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, JuanP said:

This article will be kept up to date with any details about the compatibility between Vectorworks and macOS 12 Monterey:

Are you testing on Monterey? Please use the comments to give us your feedback or to report issues.

Thank you for sharing it

• JuanP unpinned and unfeatured this topic