Crashing

I have discovered, that on my Windows machine it would randomly restart the computer, regardless of software I was running.

I changed the setting and no more random shutdowns.

I use Windows because I have other software that has no MAC equivalent.

FYI:  Architect 2019

Will upgrade to 2022 by years end.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Dendecko said:

@taoist I found I have fewer crashes on my windows device even though it has less RAM and is year older.  Interesting how that works out.  What settings did you change?  Do you recall?

Open File Manager

Right Click on  This PC

Click on properties

In the window that opens, to the right under related settings click on Advanced system settings

System Properties windows opens

Startup & Recovery - Settings

Midway down under System Failure - Uncheck Automatically restart

Click OK, OK

• Like 1

Open File Manager

Right Click on  This PC

Click on properties

In the window that opens, to the right under related settings click on Advanced system settings

System Properties windows opens

Startup & Recovery - Settings

Midway down under System Failure - Uncheck Automatically restart

Click OK, OK

• Like 1
On 8/26/2021 at 7:34 AM, Dendecko said:

@Mat Caird Snap was it a complicated drawing?

I didn't think so - only one design layer. File size 39MB.

I built the model using symbols, mirrored, rotated, etc.Here's the open GL rendering of the section I was trying to render hidden line.

I've basically given up on hidden line rendering, it was just a mistake to choose the wrong option when I created the viewport.

Edited by Mat Caird
better not share this image containing proprietary design
  • Like 1

About once a week - I set autosave to 1 minute.

When I started I logged all crashes for a year but there was no pattern to them, except maybe that they were often during minor edits of simple polygons, text object editing, viewport annotations. I know of no other soft that crashes as much, or hangs as much. 

I don't want bells, whistles and BIM, for GIS I've got QGIS GDAL and R, wish Nemets would stick to their knitting and just run a good CAD.

I have such a long list of things VW needs, but every year they add more things I have less need for, and never add the thing I (and I imagine most landscape people want and need).

• Like 2

@unearthed I pivoted to every 50 actions with mine and it has worked pretty well.  I totally hear you though, Around the 2015 version I feel like I started to run into issues with crashing all the time and that has not improved over the past 6 years.  But it is probably the function I would like the most is that the program could do all of the things it says it should do well.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mat Caird said:

My model featured many curves (the steel sections are curved in plan), so maybe that caused rendering delays.

But rendering delays should not lead to crashes - I've had 2-4 hour render/surface forming operations in Sketchup, Autocad and Kerkythea that did not lead to crashes. Nemet needs to be a bit more open about what's under the hood.

I'm still running VW2012 as there's been no upgrade that would benefit me since then. the risk of Quicktime updates is a major crash threat on 2012 and prior versions, IDK about subsequent but there's been discussion on here suggesting it's ongoing. I have warnings on my system not to update beyond 7.69.80.9 and have a backup of the driver. VW is the It's the only  system user of Quicktime afaik, I no long have VW's help system as it depended on Adobe Air and that was causing system problems so I deleted it.

• Like 1