1-5/8" 3D Screw?

I'm trying to make a 3D 1-5/8" screw using the Wood Screw 3D tool, but I get an error that says 1-5/8" is not a standard length and Vectorworks will not create that screw. I can work around this by making my 3D screw 1-1/2" and naming it 1-5/8". But it does seem strange that Vectorworks does not think this is a  standard size screw since billions are used every day in the building and home construction world.

• 1 month later...

I have a different problem with screw threads.  I need to draw M42 x 0.75 threads for a camera mount.  There is no such model under nuts and bolts in VW2020, so I am trying to use the Model / 3D Power Pack / Create Helix-Spiral command in a metric coordinate system.

1. Draw a straight line for the axis.

2. Specify the Pitch (i.e. 0.75mm)

3. Specify the Start and End radii (i.e. 42/2 = 21mm.  Mod later to accomodate the thread profile)

4. Draw a triangle of 0.75mm height.

5. Execute Extrude along path.

The result is a spiral of 0.75mm pitch, BUT 47.55mm diameter.  I tried to scale the Start and End Radii by 42/47.55, but the diameter got bigger!  If I try to make it much smaller, say 20mm diameter, the process fails with an error message.

So far, I have found no way to get the correct diameter.  It will not go smaller than the 47.55mm above.

Thread Problem.png

I think you can use the Hole Tapped (metric)-3d tool under Detailing.

Get the custom size to as close as you can. I think it will limit the pitch to 0.84.

Ungroup the plugin, ungroup the solid addition, ungroup the solid subtraction, select the sweep that looks like the threads and adjust the pitch to 0.75

Then all I think you need to do is redo the subtraction and addition to get the physical 3d object again. It will not be a plugin anymore but it should be a length of threaded post with 0.75 pitch. The depth of the profile might be a little off though.