Axonometric

Harold

I guess what I meant was a "whole" 3D object. For what I understood from the manual, in order to use an axonometric view I have to create only 3d objects. Am I wrong? (I hope so).

I know when I change the view, there is a grid in an axonometric view but every line I try to draw still is in 2D, plan view. The only way I found to draw lines in axon view is pressing the shift key at the same time I draw so I would get a line diagonal 30 degrees.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Many objects in VectorWorks Architect are what we call "Hybrid". This means that when you draw the 2D, the 3D is (or optionally can) be automatically created. Walls, slabs, doors PIOs, window PIOs, many other architectural PIOs (e.g. columns) are hybrid automatically. This means that with a little setup (e.g. the Model Setup command) you can create a basic model with little more effort than drafting the plan. Rather than forcing you to build the model first so you can get drawings, the VectorWorks approach is to draw your drawings with hybrid objects and get a basic model for free.

Then you could use one of the "oblique cabinet" projection settings to get a 30 deg or a 45 deg axonometric.

Hi Robert,

I am working right now in two projects: one is a 10x10 room where we have to develop details as well as sections and elevations. I have the detail in 2D already. How could I go from there to a section, through 3D?

The other one is a convention center. A bigger project, more complex than the first. Basically I have steel structure all over the place (ribs Gehry's type) and I am not sure how could I use VW to my advantage and maybe create 3d images at the same time with my 2Ds.

• 2 weeks later...

10x10 room?

use the wall tools, and PIO for windows etc. that will generate your elevations, and you can use the section tool as well.

convention center with steel work?

you can use the columns/beams/joists objects, or just model them from scratch with the basic forms (extruded and sweeps etc) then skin it with the lofting tools, or extruded or sweep the surfaces.

quote:

I have the detail in 2D already. How could I go from there to a section, through 3D?

The other one is a convention center. A bigger project, more complex than the first. Basically I have steel structure all over the place (ribs Gehry's type) and I am not sure how could I use VW to my advantage and maybe create 3d images at the same time with my 2Ds.

Harold,

If you have drawn your existing "2Ds" using lines the way you might with Acad -or by hand, then turning them into 3D will be work.

The beauty of VW, as noted, is that using the PIO objects you get the model for "free".

A fundamental mind-shift when using VW is the power in the use of surfaces. (rectangles, polygons, polylines etc)

If you draw in 2D with surfaces (e.g. a rectangle instaid of 4 lines for a column or whatever)for objects that have no PIO, extruding is a simple way to turn them 3D.

In combination with PIO's this approach when *commencing* drawing makes 3D a "breeze".

cheers,

N.

Forgot to add;

quote:

Or for that matter, is there a way to set my 2D drawing in an axon view?

If you want to see your 2D Drg in a 3D view,

Create a new layer,

choose View>Create Layer Link,

choose the layer/s with the 2D, and select Project 2D objects.

your new layer can then be viewed in whatever view.

cheers,

N.

• 2 weeks later...

Harold,

Since you already have 2D -

Depending on what you want to do with a plan view in axonometric or any 3D for that matter you could do a parial recovery of the drawing for display in a 3D type view by simply selecting the 2D lines and such and converting them to extrudes with a height dimension.

Important! To preserve the 2D items just in case - you could make a new layer, copy the stuff to it and then experiment.

Lines in plan view thus become thin vertical 3d planes. If you want the resulting extrudes to become opaque and not transparent you could/should give each of the objects a fill color before extruding them. Yes lines can have a fill color.

Exdtruding 2D stuff as zero height extrudes produces some interesting effects in 3D views such as floor plans in plane with no vertical height.

Is this of any help to you? Please feel free to contact me via private email.