Imported 9mb jpeg ends up being 63.4 mb?

Ramon PG

How large is the final image when printed? What I mean by that is what is a physical dimensioned size of the image when printed. Is it any bigger than an A1, for example?

Open the JPEG in any image viewer, E.g. ColorSync utility or Preview and resize it so that it is max.300 DPI and the size that it will be printed.  I am guessing that a 9mb jpeg like a photo is going to be at least 4k x 3k pixels which can be printed at around 20x15 inches, so resize the image if it’s only going to be printed at 4x4 inches.

If you do not appropriate an image so that it is the size that it will be printed and just throw a PDF the size of the moon at vectorworks then yes the resulting PDF will be huge.

Same logic applies to indesign too.

There is no point trying to reduce the size of the resulting PDF. you have to do something about the data going in, not the data coming out.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shorter said:

How large is the final image when printed? What I mean by that is what is a physical dimensioned size of the image when printed. Is it any bigger than an A1, for example?

Open the JPEG in any image viewer, E.g. ColorSync utility or Preview and resize it so that it is max.300 DPI and the size that it will be printed.  I am guessing that a 9mb jpeg like a photo is going to be at least 4k x 3k pixels which can be printed at around 20x15 inches, so resize the image if it’s only going to be printed at 4x4 inches.

If you do not appropriate an image so that it is the size that it will be printed and just throw a PDF the size of the moon at vectorworks then yes the resulting PDF will be huge.

Same logic applies to indesign too.

There is no point trying to reduce the size of the resulting PDF. you have to do something about the data going in, not the data coming out.

Thanks for the reply. The JPEG was really big bc of the resolution, and resizing it did not make it smaller in MBs. The Colorsync utility always gives results that I don't like, too fuzzy. So I'll try your suggestion on compressing before importing. PDF Pen Pro gives great compression results.

Edited by Ramon PG

Check also that you have no hatches, particularly imported hatches from autocad, e.g. the ubiquitous 'AR_SAND'.

A client generated a PDF of a 1:200 elevation the other day, and used this insidious hatch.  The PDF ballooned to 50Mb.  Remove the hatch and it was 2Mb.

The 'AR_SAND' hatch should be deleted on sight!  It comprises millions of small lines less than 1mm long often less than 1mm apart.

• Like 2