Barrel Vault Roof?

Is there anyway to create a custom shaped roof (Barrel Vault Roof, in this case) that can include specific roof type componants  (sheathing, insulation, finishes, that can interact wall with wall components the way flat roofs can, ie. gyp board stop at the interior wall finish and upper roofing, sheathing and structure extend beyond the exterior finish as well as material values (U- factors) being assigned to components or manually assigned for energy modeling?  Let's not forget having walls extend to it.  (Might as well ask for it all) ? I can do the geometry, just can figure out how it can be a roof object?973561772_ScreenShot2021-08-18at3_56_14PM.thumb.png.6a17a3f3bcdb4006e5da6e677a91c69f.pngSchematic Design

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 3:57 PM, stevenaia said:

Is there anyway to create a custom shaped roof (Barrel Vault Roof, in this case) that can include specific roof type componants  (sheathing, insulation, finishes, that can interact wall with wall components the way flat roofs can, ie. gyp board stop at the interior wall finish and upper roofing, sheathing and structure extend beyond the exterior finish as well as material values (U- factors) being assigned to components or manually assigned for energy modeling?  Let's not forget having walls extend to it.  (Might as well ask for it all) ? I can do the geometry, just can figure out how it can be a roof object?973561772_ScreenShot2021-08-18at3_56_14PM.thumb.png.6a17a3f3bcdb4006e5da6e677a91c69f.pngSchematic Design

You are out of luck if you are trying to create a that roof with the crippled Roof tools we have in Vectorworks, you will have to model every component using extrusions, assign the same classes as your components and then create a symbol, so you have the correct 2D representation

@Samuel Derenboim thanks v much for sharing this link. I have never looked at Marionette before but had been meaning to one day... This script looks perfect for a project I'm working on so I've taken the plunge! I've figured out that I can type in the name of a wall style in the 'Object Name' field in the OIP for the 'Wall Style' node + run the script by right-clicking on any of the nodes + convert the existing NURBS Surface in the file to the chosen wall. And if I keep changing the selected wall style + running the script again I can create different styled replicas of the NURBS, even though the original object is no more (which I don't really understand). And I don't know how to draw a new NURBS + have that object take on the wall style... I will watch some videos + do some reading but I just wondered in the meantime if you had any pointers for a complete Marionette novice? This is the first time I've ever looked at it. I have no idea how I'd go about practicably using it in a file... Where do all the nodes live in the normal run of things? On the design layer alongside the model?? Thanks

I don't use them that often either, but after making the geometry, i generally get rid of the marrionette from the viewport, and save it as a group symbol in the resource browser should i need it again. If i need to change the barrel roof once more, i would again drag the marionnette into the viewport, verify the barrel roof name and referenced wall type and redo the geometry. I believe there is an option in there that can retain the nurbs surface while regenerating the barrel vault roof.

When i do anything that is out of the ordinary, i also have massing models on another layer in case i need to take the surface geometry from it once more. I also keep design variations on other layers as well, for various options.

In terms of nurbs surfaces there are several ways you can go about it. Either you create a complex shape from two nurbs curbs via the loft surface tool, or (this is generally easier for me to do) create a series of operations on various extrusions. I.E. The original barrel vault roof could be an extrusion, then a series of cuts via the split tool, and lastly, when i get the blocked version result of what i am looking for, I extract the top most surface that I would like to use for the barrel vault. Depending on the settings you use, you can turn the shape directly into a nurbs surface, and then just simply add the surfaces to each other if need be (if they are not combined). Then copy the nurbs surface to the layer you need, name it accordingly and then use the tool for that surface.

Hope it helps!!

Here's an example:

image.thumb.png.53aef80887bb768855976224832064fd.png

Primitive version

image.thumb.png.9d0fc97d13783c1137204b98afd93d8d.png

Built out option

image.thumb.png.574f667aa83f012346c9d3bd6ddb1c24.png

• Like 1

Many thanks @Samuel Derenboim I've played around some more: I'm making some progress but am still fairly confused... I will need to spend a bit of time on this! I've realised that I need to give my NURBS a dedicated name (at the bottom of the OIP) + specify this name in the OIP for the 'Surface Name' node. This is what I didn't understand in my post above: how the script knew which NURBS to convert to components. That being said I'm not getting entirely consistent results. Sometimes the NURBS is converted into a 3D loci for some reason. It was also confusing the way that running the script turned off the 'Base Surface' class making the NURBS invisible...

Saving the Marionette as a Group symbol is a good tip thank you. Although when I did that + imported it into another file it seemed to lose half of the connecting lines in the process... hmmm... All good fun...!

Your roof looks great thanks for sharing