Polygons will only fill with one colour

Sophie

Question

Hi, I'm sure this is a setting somewhere which is turned on, but I just can't find it.  I am working on a file which came from an architect - maybe it was a DWG file, maybe a VW file.  Anyway, at the start I managed to fill polygons with any colour, but since moving to a new layer/time passing, they won't any longer.  Rectangles will fill with any colour, but polygons will only fill with brown.  I've checked document settings, and both the 'black and white only' and 'use layer styles' are unchecked.  I've attached a screen shot of my attributes palette when I select a polygon.  When I click under the 'solid' the vertical space just seems to select itself, rather than pulling up the colour options - see second screen shot.  Can anyone help please?  Thanks

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

9 answers to this question

Paste one of those polys into a new blank file to investigate. Post file here, too.

DXF and maybe DWG polys used to import to vwx as two objects - the outline and a corresponding shape which is the fill. See if you have two things and if deleting one allows the other to fill via the attributes pallet. Might be something only in older dxf.

Does Convert to Poly fix the palette reluctance?

another idea: those brown polys are symbols? If so, they would not respond to changes in the attributes palette 

Edited by Benson Shaw
Try convert

Thanks very much for your reply, sorry its taken so long to respond.

DXF and maybe DWG polys used to import to vwx as two objects - the outline and a corresponding shape which is the fill. See if you have two things and if deleting one allows the other to fill via the attributes pallet. Might be something only in older dxf.

This is the screen shot of the attributes.... not sure how I would find out if I have two objects?

Does Convert to Poly fix the palette reluctance?

No. 

another idea: those brown polys are symbols? If so, they would not respond to changes in the attributes palette 

Please see screen shot of attributes - looks like a polygon to me, but I'm by no means an expert!

I'm using an old version of vw, which is possibly relevant.

coombe garden.vwx

I can change fill of any of the objects.  OIP shows rectangle, polygon, etc.  Objects with fill always display a fill selection in the Attributes Palette, and I can change the fill.

I see several things that might affect graphics display.

1. Is this file intended to be and correctly georeferenced? The user origin and objects are far from the drawing's internal origin.  It's x,y ≈ 400000mm, 80000mm. Hundreds or thousands of meters distance from the internal origin can affect graphics, more so in older vwx versions. Although it is all working well in my screen. Could also be a scale issue, see below.

2. The 7472 layer looks like a dwg paper space import from which other design is derived? 7472 contains a scale bar showing 20m, but measures only 20mm.  The page border is probably correct at 77.7mm x 53mm? But the site objects are measuring only a few mm. So prepare to rescale everything. Create a rectangle or other common object at same position in each design layer. Select an object on any layer, then Modify menu>Scale Objects and choose the Scale Text and Scale Entire Drawing.  This may take a while.  Check each layer for alignment with other layers via the common objects - If necessary, Select All and group then move the group to align with common object in other layers (then ungroup).  Repeat each layer.  If necessary, choose a new layer scale for drawing convenience. The layer scale only affects display of the objects.  Changing the layer scale does not change the object dimensions.  Except text displays proportionally, so may need adjustment.

3. Navigate to the "garden" layer and Zoom way out to see a massive Stipple object.   The extents of this objects are very far from the drawing origin. Delete?  

Investigate vwx Sheet Layers and Sheet Layer Viewports with text and dimensions in the annotation space.  This isolates the geometry, from title block and text and from many scale issues.

OK lots to learn, but it can all work.  Post back if things not resolving.

-B

image.png.981976cfae0832c06655a9ec32dc11fb.png

Just to chip in on point 1 above, the User Origin (the 0,0 point for the file) has been set to match the Georeferencing coordinate system which in this case is the British National Grid. This shifts everything south-westwards + places the Internal Origin (the blue cross-hairs) at the Greenwich Meridian which is the default set-up for UK VW. This is why the rulers display with the large numbers but this is fine: the main thing is that the geometry is located close to the Internal Origin which it is.

However since the geometry itself is not georeferenced (it is in London when it looks like it should be in Dorset) there is no reason for the User Origin to be set this way. To get the benefit of georeferencing when you import the survey file you need to select 'This file contains georeferenced geometry'. Then the survey file will come into the document with the correct coordinates.

• Like 2

Good one @Tom W.

Also, when I tested the process to rescale everything, Vectorworks froze. (that big stipple mucking up the works?)  So I suggest a couple alternate paths:

A. Same process, except do it layer by layer rather than entire drawing.  This means layer by layer, Select the relevant objects by dragging a marquee and then Scale Objects, but uncheck the option for Entire Drawing.

Note: Uncheck that option anyway when it is not immediately needed. What a pain to undo/redo when the whole drawing rescales instead of a selection.

B. Start a new blank file and import the external source with parameters that make it come in at correct scale.  At that point, it might be possible to copy/paste the new geometry from the old file to the new and rescale to match.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
the devil, the details, etc
22 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Same process, except do it layer by layer rather than entire drawing.  This means layer by layer, Select the relevant objects by dragging a marquee and then Scale Objects, but uncheck the option for Entire Drawing.

I am not sure this is a good idea as the scaling will be to the centre of each layers geometry which may not be the same and thereby putting each scaled layer out of alignment with each other.

If you draw a large rectangle over the drawing that surrounds all the geometry so the centre of the scaling would be the centre of the rectangle, and copy and paste in place this rectangle onto each layer before scaling then the layers should maintain their alignment.

• Like 2