Wall Styles - 2D view and 3D View

taoist

In my design layers I have been adjusting settingsin wall styles for 2D & 3D.

Ex:  2x6 wood framed wall, siding, sheathing, stud, gypsum board.

I wan to be able to show only the stud and sheathing outlines in 2D with no white fill for siding and gypsum board, yet show everything in 3D.

Best I am able to achieve is siding fill is white,  gypsum board fill is white.

Reason being is we design for framing plans, do not need to see gypsum board or siding in 2D.

I am able to get it to show they way I want in 2D, but in 3D, no textures show.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can of course make the cladding + gypsum classes invisible for the framing plans + have these classes visible in the 3D viewports. Do you instead mean that on the design layer you want to always only see the wood framing + sheathing in Top/Plan view but in 3D views you want to see all the components? And switch between the two views without turning classes on + off each time? This could be done by creating saved views with the class visibilities saved.

8 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I'm not sure what you mean. You can of course make the cladding + gypsum classes invisible for the framing plans + have these classes visible in the 3D viewports. Do you instead mean that on the design layer you want to always only see the wood framing + sheathing in Top/Plan view but in 3D views you want to see all the components? And switch between the two views without turning classes on + off each time? This could be done by creating saved views with the class visibilities saved.

1.  Viewports would require switching in and out of design layer

2. Yes to sentence #3, #4.

3. Saved views are not dynamic.

Guess will have to live with it for now.

Actually thinking about this in a wider sense I can imagine circumstances where it would be quite useful to be able to use multiple view panes + have different class/layer visibilities for each pane, to be able to see different things simultaneously on the design layer. A bit like when you're viewing the model on one view pane + say a section viewport on the other view pane, but this time it would be both view panes showing the design layer.

33 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Actually thinking about this in a wider sense I can imagine circumstances where it would be quite useful to be able to use multiple view panes + have different class/layer visibilities for each pane, to be able to see different things simultaneously on the design layer. A bit like when you're viewing the model on one view pane + say a section viewport on the other view pane, but this time it would be both view panes showing the design layer.

Yes that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 8:34 AM, taoist said:

1.  Viewports would require switching in and out of design layer

2. Yes to sentence #3, #4.

3. Saved views are not dynamic.

Guess will have to live with it for now.

I had a similar issue with baseboard.  I like to to show it in elevation, section, and 3d; but certainly not in plan.  So, rather than trying to constantly find the class that it is on an turn it on or off; I wrote a script that toggles it on or off.  I keep a small script pallet of my most used scripts always floating on top of my workspace to increase efficiency (I titled the pallet 'Quick').  Admittedly, there is one step of double clicking it as you change views; however, I have grown to really like the flexibility of it.  You could modify the script so that if you double click it from a custom view, it goes into plan view and shuts off the classes you don't want (siding & GWB), double click it again and it turns the classes back on and initiates the flyover tool.  Just a thought..

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 2.50.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 2.50.09 PM.png

Ron,

Got me thinking.

I just created (2) new classes for now.

2D Siding_GWB

2D INT GWB

Assign the respective wall components

EX: Exterior wood framed walls.  Siding and GWB to 2D Siding_GWB

Make invisible in 2D, make visible in 3D

Being a number 1st in the class name, always at top of list

Interior partition walls with gwb, assign the gwb to the 2D INT GWB Class