Design layer rendering

scottmoore

Question

8 answers to this question

12 hours ago, markdd said:

Completely agree. If the render bitmap tool could be modernised so that it displayed the render buckets as they are created rather having to wait for the complete render, that would be a big step forward. 

That is true.  By the way, is "render buckets" the actual term for that?? 🙂

I've never entirely understood the DPI settings of the design layer.  I believe it defaults to 72 dpi but is also impacted by the display upon which you work.  The end result is that a final quality render on the design layer is typically quicker and infinitely better resolution than a 72 dpi render bitmap.  I typically have to use render bitmaps at 150 dpi which take far longer and still do not look nearly as good.  The only way to get a render bitmap to look anywhere near as good as final quality on the design layer would take forever.  

Just a personal note on my process:  I have the standard keyboard shortcuts for OpenGL and Final Quality Renderworks.  I also have a keyboard shortcut for Custom Renderworks.  I completely understand that Final Quality is not ideal but it is a quick way for me to toggle between low quality and high quality renderworks (custom set to lower quality and final quality) while drawing.  I always output with custom renderworks.  

I should also add that for the longest time (a long time ago), my output renders were just screen grabs of design layer renderings before I understood the SLVP method and never had any issues with it.  Seems like the render cache issue was the first bug but it has since become worse and worse.  

Edited by scottmoore

Render buckets are the tiles that you see as each section of the view completes. And yes, I think that is the jargon. 

The layer dpi controls the dpi of rendered objects if you print from the design layer. I think it has a bearing on the pattern attribute as well but that is very much “legacy” these days. As not many folk print from design layers let alone render them and then print the render from the design layer, then this setting is mostly redundant. 

Here are two pdf images printed from the design layer.

Design Layer 72 dpi.pdfDesig Layer 300 dpi.pdf

Edited by markdd

Oh I knew exactly what you meant by “render buckets” but did not know that was the term. Cool. 

My comment regarding the dpi of the design layer (I believe mine is defaulted to 72 dpi) is that the resolution of a render on the design layer at 72dpi is far greater than a render bitmap at 72dpi. This makes render bitmaps even less appealing to me. 

51 minutes ago, scottmoore said:

My comment regarding the dpi of the design layer (I believe mine is defaulted to 72 dpi) is that the resolution of a render on the design layer at 72dpi is far greater than a render bitmap at 72dpi

I believe the design layer will render at whatever the screen resolution is so for me that is 220dpi so render bitmap needs to be greater than this to be better?

On 8/15/2021 at 10:44 AM, scottmoore said:

Over the past several years it has become buggy and unpredictable.

I've not received any reports of this from users in our market, which makes me wonder - as you are a longterm user - if your Vectorworks preference files or workspace has become corrupt. A clean installation excluding your Vectorworks User Folder would be an appropriate step. 

If these issues are not common to most users, but affect you after a clean installation of Vectorworks (that excludes any of your customised data/settings) then the other variable to consider is the operating system. Many CAD administrators reinstall not just Vectorworks but the operating system annually to minimise the incidence of data corruption that can cause or contribute to oddities or problems. 

20 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

I've not received any reports of this from users in our market, which makes me wonder - as you are a longterm user - if your Vectorworks preference files or workspace has become corrupt. A clean installation excluding your Vectorworks User Folder would be an appropriate step. 

If these issues are not common to most users, but affect you after a clean installation of Vectorworks (that excludes any of your customised data/settings) then the other variable to consider is the operating system. Many CAD administrators reinstall not just Vectorworks but the operating system annually to minimise the incidence of data corruption that can cause or contribute to oddities or problems. 

That is a good point and worth considering. That said, there have been a considerable number of people reporting render cache issues for several years now (which seems to have improved perhaps?) and certainly texture issues.