Section Viewport through site model

Tom W.

I have a viewport - a section through a site model - that takes AGES to update. It is the section geometry VW is struggling with rather than the rendering (it is OpenGL). 

This is what it does to my RAM:

1823524647_Screenshot2021-08-13at09_46_07.png.64939c619aac5f354ad12ff34babdc05.png

Then after it's finally updated the memory stays at that level in the activity monitor. I have to close the file + reopen it to get things back to normal, until the next edit I make to the VP... Or I get the spinning beach ball + have to force quit.

My section line has a step in it so perhaps that makes it more complicated to calculate? And perhaps sections through site models just contain lots of geometry + are always going to be a bit of work? I just wonder if there are any techniques for rationalising the process whilst I'm setting up the VP, before conducting the final update at the end, in much the way you can reduce the DPI whilst setting up the lighting/rendering options before running the final render...?

I feel like I'm spending hours trying to create what in the end is not a particularly special view. I appreciate this is a bit of a vague question I just wondered if other people had experience of the same.

Thanks

• Like 1

My workaround is to trace the section cut in the vp annotations and then turn the site model visibility to off. Not particularly clever and it means if I move the section or change the dtm then I need to retrace but the time spent retracing can be less than waiting for a vp through a dtm to update.

Hadn’t tried the method with the resolution and OpenGL settings. I’ll give that a go next time. 

Thanks @Boh Well by a very painful process of elimination I have discovered it's not the 3D Conversion Resolution which is causing the problem it is the OpenGL Options. I had detail set to very high + shadow quality set to high + VW would stop responding when I updated the VP so had to force quit. But just reduced these to high + medium + it updated without too much fuss... Normally I always leave these on the top setting + never have any issue. Detail set to low + shadows off whilst I set up the VP meant I could adjust crop etc without it dying in the process...

My VP is actually two VPs stacked on top of each other. One VP is a hidden line section through the DTM + this is fine. It's the openGL section depicting the architecture etc that has been a nightmare. The DTM is actually turned off in this one. So I guess I meant it was a section through the site rather than the site model

932562799_Screenshot2021-08-13at12_09_23.thumb.png.b3eb9dd33b443098bb5d80c03e8bb7e8.png

• Like 3