Wishlist - Wall with multiple wall styles

Gregovitch

Question

11 answers to this question

On 8/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, Gregovitch said:

Would it not be great if it was possible to have multiple wall styles in 1 wall?

In theory, a wall has 3 parts: side 1 + wall structure + side 2 .

Each part could be a wall style for example : Exterior cladding + 2x4  insulated structure + Interior furring & finish

When you create a door or a window it would create an opening in all of those and act as 1 wall when moving it around. 

I feel like this could simplify so much the wall style list and allow to not have so many duplicates with small variations.

Is this not at least part of the intent of Materials?

27 minutes ago, taoist said:

Is this not at least part of the intent of Materials?

Materials define the attributes (with a lower case 'a') of an object. I think this wish, and certainly my related wish, veer more into the territory of how to manage and model the geometry of a building envelope. The more I model buildings in VW the more I want to be able to create and manage internal finishes, structure and external finishes as separate elements, but closely entwined.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
On 8/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, Christiaan said:

Materials define the attributes (with a lower case 'a') of an object. I think this wish, and certainly my related wish, veer more into the territory of how to manage and model the geometry of a building envelope. The more I model buildings in VW the more I want to be able to create and manage internal finishes, structure and external finishes as separate elements, but closely entwined.

Agreed.  I often have situations where I wish I just had an exterior finish to finish off a small area created by a roof without using an entire wall style where a wall peak function will not work well.

Or perhaps, be able to merge walls of different styles to act as a single unit?

You could have your specific partition types as the core, and be able to tag it in plan as you would want to, while then being able to apply (wall finish objects maybe?) different finishes of correct widths. Tile, wood paneling, reveals, trim, ect... 

This workflow has the possibility of keeping Interior designers focused on finishes and preventing them from changing the partition type.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

12 hours ago, Christiaan said:

You mean like this?

Sort of,...   If you could somehow place walls parallel to each other and somehow merge them so doors and windows would treat them as one object. This way one could have one wall style for 5 5/8" metal studs w/ drywall. and then have finish wall object or layer that could applied to them separately. One wall finish style that could be applied to a number of different partition types.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

On 8/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, Christiaan said:

Yes, I have a similar wish, but coming at it from a different angle and including more emphasis on connections:

Well... what i can understand, a similar way on how you settings Wall/Slab/Roofs/Ceiling in Revit, you can do it in some way with classes or naming convention of components... but the problem with the VWK is that the software only think as structure one component, the "Core Component assigned", on Revit you have the ability to report parts by function, Exterior/Interior Side and Core Layers.

image_2021-09-17_122708.png