Modelling the garden

Ragnar

Hi,

I might be aksing the wrong forum. In that case, sorry. Please direct me to the right place.

I would like to visualize my building in the garden which has a gentle slope and some small hills. Is there a way to add this? Like a lawn. Without having "Landscape".

Tanks.

/Ragnar Olofsson

@RagnarIt sounds like you would like to place the building on a site model, where the site model represents the slope and small hills you mention.

Yes, you can do this, depending on your version of Vectorworks.  From the pull down menu, AEC -> Terrain shows the options.  If you have survey points or contours, you can make a realistic site.  If you just want to invent a site for context, you can make one using site sculpting.

Once you have the site model built, you could depict a lawn area using a Hardscape in the texture bed mode.  This will take the 2D shape and make it conform to the site model.

2D shape drawn in top plan, converted to hardscape in the Texture bed mode:

121573656_ScreenShot2021-08-10at12_47_54PM.png.5f7cfdc1f3c636cc2682243bcdb427cf.png

Perspective view of site model with texture bed appearing on model.  It's fast and easy.

171376607_ScreenShot2021-08-10at12_46_34PM.thumb.png.e2437c6f9309a0a3d204331c7d33c8e0.png

• Like 4

Slightly off topic, but speaking of site models, for those of you that import your VW files into Cinema 4d, there is a great add-on to C4d, called 'Grass Kit' that quicker than you can imagine, lets you add three kinds of grasses, wildflowers, and rocks to any site model. 

Lots of flexibility.  Sort of how VW lets you make a grass texture, but with many more options and way faster rendering times.

Here is a low res rendering of a rather interesting project I modeled and worked on with an architect friend of mine.

I used the various 3d grasses, etc mapped to the site model. Somewhat more realistic than just using a flat texture.

611283018_HORIZONDOORVIEW3.thumb.jpg.b586861a8a3e80bf0c9b10f302aae4b5.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, jeff prince said:

@RagnarIt sounds like you would like to place the building on a site model, where the site model represents the slope and small hills you mention.

Yes, you can do this, depending on your version of Vectorworks.  From the pull down menu, AEC -> Terrain shows the options.  If you have survey points or contours, you can make a realistic site.  If you just want to invent a site for context, you can make one using site sculpting.

Once you have the site model built, you could depict a lawn area using a Hardscape in the texture bed mode.  This will take the 2D shape and make it conform to the site model.

2D shape drawn in top plan, converted to hardscape in the Texture bed mode:

121573656_ScreenShot2021-08-10at12_47_54PM.png.5f7cfdc1f3c636cc2682243bcdb427cf.png

Perspective view of site model with texture bed appearing on model.  It's fast and easy.

171376607_ScreenShot2021-08-10at12_46_34PM.thumb.png.e2437c6f9309a0a3d204331c7d33c8e0.png

This worked perfectly! Thanks

• Like 1