Font publishing rasterized when bold

westcj19

Question

For most of my annotations, I like to use the font Baskerville in its bold form, however, it seems that whenever I publish the sheets, the bold font is always rasterized, while the few sections where it is not bold (like in some of the title block), it exports with the vector text as it should. Is there some way I can remedy this? It's not really a readability issue, but I would like the text to be selectable in the PDF, which it is when it exports as vector, but not as raster.

In the picture, the top line is bold, and the bottom is not. Its only 12 pt font, so when printed it will not be an issue, but like I said, I would really like it to be cleaner and selectable for the PDF.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 140102.jpg

14 answers to this question

I believe that that there are fonts that can not be included in PDFs due to licensing. I believe that Adobe, (probably in order to make more money on selling fonts) will not include fonts that they are not certain are properly licensed.

Check the versions and the source of your Bakerville and Baskerville Bold fonts (Font Book if you are on a Mac). Also, check your VW Preferences for Font Substitutions and make sure that you are not substituting something for Baskerville Bolds.

Thanks for this, I'm running it locally. I even have Adobe CC so would have thought that once a font is availble to VW it would be able to export a pdf with it. It looks crisp & lovely on the SL but a mess on the PDF.

btw, Myriad isn't on the list of available fonts on the Cloud Services site. Hmm... this isn't good.
Here it is exported from InDesign. Somehow VW is breaking the chain, I always thought you could buy, install and use any font you liked. Hasn't this always been the case?

1374954818_FontTestfromID.PNG.c01d680063472330cb30a1af91047288.PNG

Font Test from ID.pdf

Edited by bcd

For Cloud Services, if you include a ttf file of any font you own anywhere in your VW Cloud folder, it becomes available to you.

That doesn't help with local fonts.  I haven't looked at Mac Font Book (should be in Applications folder) settings in a long time, but you might want to make sure your fonts are in there as expected.  Not much more I can add.  Hopefully someone else can help.

The tickle in the back of my head says this is an Adobe issue. I believe they will not embed any font in a PDF they are not 100% certain is properly licensed. Since Myriad is not on the standard list of fonts, Adobe is probably rasterizing it rather than including it in the PDF. I know you have the font on your machine, but what would happen when you send it to someone who does not have that font if it was not rasterized or embedded?

I'm not so sure I think it's the VW export script that's not able to find the font even though VW itself can find & use it.

I just spent a fustrating 85 minutes with 3 different 'experts' on the Adobe Chat. I'll try speaking with a human tomorrow. From what I read once the font is activated then all desktop applications can use it. It's just not stored in the usual place in the usual way & VW forgot to tell VW pdf export how to find it.

👋 (for the tickle)

Thanks for trying, but no, this isn't it. On/off makes no difference in my tests.

It looks increasingly likely that VW -PDF export simply doesn't know where to look for the font:

I found a Myriad Pro file elsewhere on the system that came with another software & dropped it into the Drag & drop panel of Settings>Fonts.

Now VW has 2 places to look for the same font. Lo & behold this font works properly on PDF export.

However Myriad Pro Light only exists as a Adobe CC activated font & it's being recognized by VW & displayed perfectly in VW but when exported to PDF, voila - pixels, jaggedness & low quality,

Pixellated Font in exported  PDF.PNG