Model far away when opening in Vision

Hi there,

I'm going into the same venue as I did for a show in 2019, so I'm hoping to reuse the VW plot that I created 2 years ago. When I have the plot open in 2021, and use the 'send to vision' command, it opens up in vision, but kinda far away, and I have to carefully pan and zoom into be able to see my stage and lights.

There's also something going on where there's a huge amount of purchase from each mouse or scroll wheel movement, to the point that one or two clicks, and the entire drawing is thrown off screen.

When I create a quick new stage and lights in VW 2021, and send that to Vision, it opens right in front of the stage as expected.

I thought maybe something might have happened to the origin in my VW drawing, but it was right on. I went ahead and reset the origin just to make sure, but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

thanks!

AJ

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There may be some reason why this is happening. I can at least explain how it works. There are also some improvements you may be able to make to your workflow that will make things easier and look/perform better.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:05 PM, ajemutt said:

When I have the plot open in 2021, and use the 'send to vision' command

Send to Vision uses the older ESC file format. You should consider using Export MVR instead. Here is a good topic covering the benefits:

it opens up in vision, but kinda far away

My guess is that there is some piece of mesh way off in no man's land. What Vision tries to do whenever opening (not merging) a non-V3S file format is calculate the bounding box of the entire scene and then fit that into view.

and I have to carefully pan and zoom into be able to see my stage and lights

If you are not aware, the Fit to Objects tool is incredibly helpful for quickly navigating to an object(s) of interest.

There's also something going on where there's a huge amount of purchase from each mouse or scroll wheel movement, to the point that one or two clicks, and the entire drawing is thrown off screen.

This often has to do with the Look At Point being off in no man's land. The Fit to Objects tool workflow helps with this as it ensures the Look At Point is near the things you are "looking at".

When I create a quick new stage and lights in VW 2021, and send that to Vision, it opens right in front of the stage as expected.

This is what I would expect. But, this will only work properly if there is no odd ball geometry off in no man's land. You can quickly "break" this new file by putting an extrude way far away from the rest of the scene.

One way you may be able to "diagnose" your original file is by selecting the New Layer underneath ROOT in the Scene Graph. This will draw a bounding box for the entire scene. If this bounding box is not what you expect, you can select various items in the Scene Graph until you find the "offending" item.

And I think a lot of people are not aware of the Fit to Objects tool in Vision. I find it quite critical to navigating the scene quickly and intuitively. Without the Fit to Objects tool in your workflow, a conscious effort must be made to understand where the Look At Point is and how it behaves. Fit to Objects alleviates much of this need.

Hope this helps!