wall join

bohlr

I am having the same problem refered to by "zero" in his post of 3.27.03.

So I use the remove wall break tool, then try and do a simple t-join. It takes 12 seconds to excute ($0.2 charged out to client), and I don't get a clean join. One wall gets a 45 degree bevel, the other wall gets a 90 degree end.

The response at that time was :

You can send bugfiles to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net.

Is there any new info?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Slowdown problems, if they are persistent and don't arise suddenly, are often (not always) issues relating to:

-Hardware (processor speed, memory and disk space);

-OS (WinME is not the most robust of OS's that MS offers)

-Installation.

I'd call in to Tech Support and go through the list of twenty questions with them.

I should have been more specifc, sorry. My problem is only with the wall joining; when joining two perpeduclar walls in the "ell" mode one wall has a 90 degree end located in the the middle of the wall that it is being joined to and the other wall has a 45 degree end located in the correct place for what would be this walls miter joint.

Speed is fine.

• 4 months later...

jrm, sometimes 3 way joins with funny angles are very difficult (or impossible) to get exactly right. I assume you have 1) "HEALED" all 3 walls and pulled them slightly away from the intersection so they do not extent beyond it? 2) Used the WALL JOIN tool from the walls palette, first in "L" mode to join two of the walls and then in "T" mode to add the third wall to the joint? 3) Tried this a few times using a different order (start with other wall first), etc.?

If so, and you still get weird results, the only workaround I know of is to join the first 2 walls and then drag (not join) the 3rd wall so it is cheated out just barely into the intersection. Sometimes I leave this 3rd wall "cut" (or unhealed) so the the angle is a closer fit. This will give you what you need in PLAN view but in a rendered view, unless you are careful that the unjoined walls don't show, you may see gaps.

BTW, in yout profile it says you are from OR. Where exactly? I am thinking we ought to start a user group (maybe there is one already in the Portland area???). Let me know?

Peter Cipes

Residential Designer

Ashland, Oregon

Mac G5 1.8 Dual/ OS 10.3.4 / VW's 11

• 1 month later...

I find that wall join is, like some other editing tools in VW, strangely affected by nearby walls or other objects that should have nothing to do with the operation (I submitted a sample file to bugsubmit a long time ago about a similar trim tool bug). When quirky results occur, I put the two walls I want to join into a group, enter the group, and the operation works successfully. There is obviously something wrong with the code when the proximity of uninvolved objects affects an operation.

VW 10.5.1

Win2K/XP

That is an interesting approach and observation. Fits the experience I have had with stairs coming into contact with walls and relocating unpredictably.

Re the wall join problems, I sent a file to NNA about 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing. Since this takes time it would be good to know that the file was recieved and a report on the diagnosis or that a plan to fix the problem is scheduled for the next release.