Camera Match Without a Camera Match Object

So I've been floundering with this task for awhile now. I need a workflow where I can match a photo of an existing site with a site modeled in Vectorworks.

I've got a situation where I want to achieve a camera match, but I do not have a strong, boxy, existing built object with which to get a good 3 point perspective. I'm trying to get a photo as a background for use in a renderworks camera, and have transparent landscape objects, so I can adjust the camera and get a reasonable match.

I know my approximate camera position relative to the site and I know what the lens focal length is. I just need to tweak my position and when the camera is looking. 

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Screenshot (66).png

IMG_7027.JPG

Edited by rudybeuc@gmail.com

<<Hello,

This begs the question of why you're not using the Camera Match feature in Vectorworks? There is also a great movie about how to use it here.>>

I am aware of that video and used it to help set up a camera match for a view with which I had and existing building to align the guidelines. Attaches is the view where I was successfully able to use the camera match tool.

As stated in the post, with this view, "I do not have a strong, boxy, existing built object with which to get a good 3 point perspective". with the photo I'm trying to match. There are no strictly vertical, horizontal in x direction or horizontal in y, to align guidelines.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Virew 1 - Composite.jpg

Edited by rudybeuc@gmail.com
23 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I just need to tweak my position and when the camera is looking. 

When you're in the activated Camera, have you tried using the Walkthrough tool to navigate and tweak your view? The activated Camera will "follow" any changes you make with this tool.

You can also utilize the third mode of the Translate View tool to fine tune the amount of perspective.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I've got a situation where I want to achieve a camera match,

In times before any camera match things with analog SLR,

I took local photos and noted my standpoints in a 2D Top Plan on paper.

I also noted my current focal length.

This gave me a good start to place my Camera on Site in 3D Model for

further Camera adjustments in 3D View.

Usually I finally had to differ a bit from the data I noted to make it fit better

and look more convincing. (Because of Lens distortions and such things ?)

But that was often the case for later use of different camera match solutions

too. 

Edited by zoomer

<<Posted 8 hours ago

On 8/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I just need to tweak my position and when the camera is looking. 

When you're in the activated Camera, have you tried using the Walkthrough tool to navigate and tweak your view? The activated Camera will "follow" any changes you make with this tool.

You can also utilize the third mode of the Translate View tool to fine tune the amount of perspective.>>

How do I get my original photo to appear in the background so I can get a decent match?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I am aware of that video and used it to help set up a camera match for a view with which I had and existing building to align the guidelines. Attaches is the view where I was successfully able to use the camera match tool.

As stated in the post, with this view, "I do not have a strong, boxy, existing built object with which to get a good 3 point perspective". with the photo I'm trying to match. There are no strictly vertical, horizontal in x direction or horizontal in y, to align guidelines.

Dear Rudy,

Ok sorry I wasn't clear whether or not you knew about Camera Match.

I've had a quick play with that photo and managed to get something that looks ok. It might need more serious and detailed tweaking and I was guessing at heights etc. See quick render below.

Cheers,

Peter

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 2.25.05 pm.png

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 2.26.18 pm.png

• Like 4

Dear Rudy,

Ok sorry I wasn't clear whether or not you knew about Camera Match.

I've had a quick play with that photo and managed to get something that looks ok. It might need more serious and detailed tweaking and I was guessing at heights etc. See quick render below.

Cheers,

Peter

My recent attempt resulted in absolute failure. I couldn't even see any of my model in the viewport.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Did you try using the same vanishing points as I did in the second photo? In which case possibly the reference point either needs to be moved in the design layer, or in the Annotation group of the viewport.

I can't suggest much else other than to say it's possible with that photo as you can see, and you might just need some perseverance. Good luck!

Cheers,

Peter