Roof holes - what is the logic for "square cut?"

P Retondo

When I edit a roof face to create a hole and select "Square cut miter," the resulting 3D hole bears no obvious relationship to where I cut the face, at either the top or bottom planes of the roof. The sides of the hole align, but the upper and lower edges do not. Does anyone know how to predict where the hole will be?

Note to NNA: the way this ought to work is that boundaries in my 2D edit space would mark the upper edge of the hole, similarly to a square-cut eave.

Robert, in working on this further I discovered that what you have said is normally true. The exception proves the rule, however. I have a roof face with a modified eave edge for some bay windows, and in that object the hole edges do not align normally. I could send you a file containing that object if you would like.

[ 02-06-2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is a logic, believe it or not. My misunderstanding was that I thought you had square cut eaves as well. The "magic plane" for a roof depends on the eave shape. Square-cut eaves use the bottom plane, and double-cut eaves (such as you had) use the plane defined by the intersection of the horizontal and vertical cuts at the eave. That is where the hole in the defining plane will be registered.

• 9 years later...

I just discovered this "feature." I am working on a roof that I would like to have vertical cut eaves (so that I can hang gutters on them) and square cut holes (so that I can put skylights in. Unfortunately, the "logic" used by VW seems to make that not really possible. I really don't understand why the 2d hole representation on a roof would be based on the bottom face. The roof is never viewed (in 2d) from the bottom.

I'm also a little surprised that this behavior has existed since 2004 and NVW hasn't fixed it.

Is there a work-around that would allow me to do what I need to do here?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Here's a quickie workaround:

Once you've made your roof object (including cutting the holes if you like), go to a 3D view and Enter Group. Select All and Copy. Exit, then Paste in Place (after deleting your original roof.) Now instead of a single Roofer object, you will have a number of Roof Faces. You can change Roof Faces to have a vertical eave cut and a square hole cut.