Viewport disappears on sheet layer

rlb

I have a strange issue.

I have four plans (view ports) on a Sheet Layer. Everything was fine until today. Now one of the plan view ports has disappeared. When I make new view ports from that Design Layer assigned to the Sheet Layer they are not visible either.

Any idea of what the problem is? Help will be MUCH appreciated!

PLB in Brooklyn

Assuming you keep ‘None’ visible that is… Often seen ‘None’ set to grey or invisible. Never fathomed why.

@rlb can you check the location of the user origin? Cmd or Ctrl 9. It should be aligned to the internal origin unless you have explicitly set it somewhere else.  If it is not at 0,0,0 and you did not set the origin explicitly compare it’s location to a backup file.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Boh said:

I recommend putting all sheet layer objects on the none class. That way they will always be visible. Only class stuff that’s on design layers or in vp annotations.

While that advice may simplify things, you miss out on using the power of classed objects with “by class” attributes to control graphics and visibility within the sheet layer and then relegated to controlling graphics with the attributes panel by object.

• Like 2

@jeff princeI read @Boh's comment differently.

I believe what Boh is saying is that the Viewport object itself should be in the None Class. You can certainly put objects on Design Layers that are set to By Class attributes and use the overrides inside the Viewport to change the attributes for that viewport only.

In my opinion, in most cases "Container" objects (symbols, groups, viewports, maybe even PIOs) should be in the None class unless you have a good reason to put them somewhere else. For an object to be visible both the class of the object and the class of any container objects that object is in both have to be visible. When you get the viewport in a different class and set that class to invisible, all of the objects in the viewport disappear. Very confusing for new users.

Having said the above, I break those rules all the time because it helps my workflow. But it is always a conscious choice to do so. If I don't make a decision to change from None (or make a mistake by starting to draw while in a class other than None), everything goes in None and then recluses later it necessary. That being said, my drawings are probably much simpler than most of the users here.

• Like 2

Yes keeping all sheet layer objects in the none class has some limitations as @jeff princementions. However our sheet layers only contain a titleblock, viewports, a scale bar and some notes, all of which can happily live in the none class. Legends go in vp annotations where the power of class attributes and overrides can be utilised.

I should have added in my earlier post  that as well as keeping all sheet layer objects on the none class we, as an office rule of thumb, we also keep the none class the active class. This avoids the issue with container objects inadvertently being created in odd classes and it also doesn’t matter what the current class visibilities are set to when you go to publish drawings as all sheet layer info will be visible. In an office set up with multiple cad technicians often working  on each other’s drawings, keeping it simple is really important to avoid errors.

• Like 2