Creating 3D “Wavy” Surface

I’m looking for a way to create a 3D model of a surface for an install. The trace of the curves looks like this.D344DF07-5903-4EA3-8C25-9346C2690ABC.thumb.jpeg.69af04a019f3c0b137b27929dc088632.jpeg

I did this with the poly line tool. I’m struggling to find a way to now convert this into an interpolated surface to be able to push and pull different sections of each shape to create the 3D effect. Does anyone know of a way to achieve this? I tried redrawing the shapes with the NURBS Curve tool, but can’t find a way to do the straight edges. The final goal is something like the image below, where the drop shadows would be created by the rise and fall of the shapes.1F0EA7CE-497D-41F5-90F9-7D69FAAE2438.thumb.jpeg.23d282815ac011ff4f0a7e19dfc708f2.jpeg

Edited by mtgreen
Paragraph Formatting
8 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

This sounds like a job for Subdivision Modeling.

I haven't used it enough to explain it, but there are a number of videos on YouTube. Search Vectorworks Subdivision and you should find what you need.

Yes, I actually just tried this and it's definitely the right direction. Still struggling to get the subdivision points to push/pull how I want. But I believe you are correct about that being the next step.

Use a degree of 1 to draw NURBS with straight edges. You can also draw all your curves with lines and polylines, and convert to NURBS.

With NURBS, the trick is creating the narrow surfaces that are perpendicular to the view plane. I would copy and paste in place all of your curves, and then set the copies to the max depth, with the originals of the curve being at the min depth. You can then use the reshape tool to adjust the depth of the curve. I would just adjust the max height curve.

You may be able to then use Create Surface from Curves, but you probably have to use the loft tool. You may have to loft each section separately: each section in the image above as well as each surface perpendicular to the view. (Also, Create Surface from Curves will probably work for each section — just make sure to make a copy of the curves first.)

Many have found my NURBS tutorials helpful: 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

This looks like a material I've used. It comes in sheets like Plywood, AND THERE ARE SEVERAL TEXTURES? I HAVE NOT MODELED, BUT I HAVE CREATED BUP MAPS.

Oooops for the caps.

Another good approach if this is for visualization rather than fabrication. Apply a texture with an image-based bump that sets the depth of the surface when rendered. Use Photoshop or illustrator to create the image using gradients. 50% gray will be on the surface. White will be raised from the surface at the maximum depth set in the texture.

I also forgot to mention above, after creating the loft, you can use the fillet tool if you want the recessed edges to be eased.

• Like 3

mtgreen

I assume that the rendered A+B screenshot in your original post is an elevational view?

If so, I think you could fairly easily just create several nurbs curves, tweak them a bit,

then use loft surface. Once you have done this it becomes a curbs surface, which you can push/pull the various vertices in any direction you wish.  

Then, by using the shell command you can give the fabric (or whatever it is) a thickness.

I have done this successfully to create hanging bath towels.

I attached a small file.  VW 2020 version. No textures, etc.

Again, this is just another option to achieve this without messing with using Subdivision.

The other caveat is that I could be TOTALLY not understanding if this is what you were after. 😉

So....when you open the file it will be shown in an iso view:

1) select the nurbs surface.  You will see lots of vertices.

2) to modify the overall shape, you control that by using the reshape command, where you can move any vertex, in X, Y, Z direction, right from that iso view. Just be mindful which of those three are selected before you start tweaking 🙂

1682406807_ScreenShot2021-08-05at8_51_25AM.png.f8e7b8a92c5fb376957a96f3d9270f00.png

1035808436_ScreenShot2021-08-05at8_56_01AM.thumb.png.048e24181fe4802e21f7d437d5aa087f.png

SCULPTED SURFACE v2020.vwx

• Like 2