Multiple model/paper space views

Not super familiar with VW’s navigation/organization capabilities. It seems that there is one ‘model space’ view (similar to rhino/autocad) where all design elements/objects exist. It seems that you then control groups of objects within that single model space via classes and design layers to create individual drawings.

I am used to an archicad/revit style organization where you setup multiple ‘model space’ views (ie plans/elevations/sections/details) and draw each drawing in its associated view. I should also mention that my workflow is primarily 2D with the only BIM feature i typically use being the wall/door/window tools in plan views.

I prefer the multiple model space workflow and I’m wondering if someone can help further explain how exactly multiple drawings are organized/managed within a single project file of VW.

It seems clunky to me to have to toggle layers on and off when I want to switch from drawing an elevation to a plan etc. I’d rather just click on the separate model space view that contains any objects I’ve started to create for that particular drawing(s).

Any comments/feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

Design Layers are effectively multiple Model Spaces and you can use as many as you want with different Z values to allow easier model creation.

To simulate a workflow closer to what you want, turn on the Design Layer(s) you want for your first Model Space and create a Saved View. Repeat for the other "model spaces". Now to switch between, just click on the saved view you want and it will change all of the Layer (and class) visibilities) to match what you saved.

Or if you only need a single design layer at a time, just set the layer visibilities of all layers to Invisible. The Active Layer is always visible, so when you make a layer active that "model space" will become active.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nick Darin Architect said:

explain how exactly multiple drawings are organized/managed within a single project file of VW.

As Pat said,

there is one Models Space like in Autocad.

But by using "VW Layers" you can have unlimited kind of Model Spaces,

or even display multiple at a time.

(VW Layers are not like in Autocad, Autocad Layers are "VW Classes")

Like in pure 2D, a VW Layer for each Story Plan, each Elevation or Section.

You could even show a Plan beside or under a Section as underlay,

editable/snapping only/grayed out and such.

In 3D we use VW Layers primarily to separate the Building.

One or more Layers for each Story. But also to separate things like Site,

Furniture, Underlays, ....

And the same is for Paper Space.

The pendant for VW Layers in Model Space is "VW Sheet Layers" for Paper Space.

Each new Sheet Layer is a new Paper Space or piece of printing paper.

On each Sheet Layer you will place one or more "VW Viewports", which

you defined in Model Space.

(You can create Viewports also in Model Space for certain purposes

but that is another story)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Nick Darin Architect said:

It seems clunky to me to have to toggle layers on and off when I want to switch from drawing an elevation to a plan etc.

Hmmh, yes, a bit clunky.

As Pat said,

If you create Saved Views for each "Model Space" and set up Visibilities

of Classes and Layers, you can switch/re-open each "Model Space"

from the Saved Views Dropdown list with a single click.

@Nick Darin Architect as a former long time AutoCAD user, I can relate to your confusion back when I started.  @zoomerhas succinctly explained the nomenclature that confuses people transitioning from AutoCAD.  The other thing that catches people is the concept of “scale” in Vectorworks design layers, which is primarily used for graphics and text.  You still typically illustrate or model features at 1:1 in a design layer, regardless of the scale you set the layer too. The only caveat in regards to design layer scale is design layers with different scales can not be viewed simultaneously (unless you configure your unified view to ignore layer scale as Zoomer pointed out).  Example, perhaps I have some floor plans drawn on multiple design layers set to 1/8”=1’ and some sections drawn on a different design layer with a scale of 1/2”=1’.  Assuming they are all turned on and a floor plan is set to active, you won’t see those sections.  This can confuse people initially unless they configure their unified view to disregard scale.  The default setting in Vectorworks is to ignore layers with different scales, which can be changed in your template files, etc.

Personally, once I got used to how Vectorworks handles this notion of scale and the whole AutoCAD Modelspace/Paperspace/Layer system, I found it to be absolutely superior.  The using design layers for “where an object is” and classes to describe “what an object is” is very powerful compared to Autocad’s layer system and xrefing, in my opinion.

The software has an awkward transition period, especially for AutoCAD users.  It just like learning a foreign language.  While cultural immersion works to some degree for picking up languages, Vectorworks is best learned with self paced training or a mentor in my opinion.  The best advice I can give you is to visit Vectorworks University and take a few online courses for basic Vectorworks.   Also, a subscription to Jonathan Pickup’s http://archoncad.blogspot.com/ website is money well spent in getting up to speed rapidly and developing strategies for approaching different drawing scenarios.  Finally, some people find individualized instruction helpful.  Many people here on the forum, including myself, offer such services and setting up your office resources for a painless transition.

Stick with it and I’m sure you will discover the many benefits and graphic beauty Vectorworks offers.

Edited by jeff prince
Correction.
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

The only caveat in regards to design layer scale is design layers with different scales can not be viewed simulateously.

AFAIK you can, with the proper Settings in "Unified View"

(Deactivate Ignore Layers with different Scale)

• Like 1