Wall returns

martyn

Hi Robert,

Just the Wall Return Settings are greyed (more specifically the text entry box background is grey as opposed to white.) I can hightlight the text, but cannot overide it.

It is happening to every Plugin door or window I try and does not matter whether its from the object browser or using the plugin door tool.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Robert,

OK, I've got that working. It's not quite what I expected. My understanding of a wall return is that the outside wall should return back on itself by 90 degrees where it meets a door or window in order to close off the cavity correctly. Is it possible to send a file of the result I need. I think this will save us both some time. I might be asking for something the system cannot do at this stage.

Thanks again in advance.

Martyn.

• 1 month later...

Your disappointement is being felt here as well. I must say that I've also tried through other matters to get responses regarding issues that appear at first as logical cad requests. I'm also finding that there are more things broken in 10.5 than in previous releases. I'm beginning to believe I've made a mistake investing in Vectorworks.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response and the file. I can see now that the cavities cannot be filled and that the number of cavities actually means 'number of cavity lines'.

Is there any intention of refining the tool to have the wall return all the way to the other wall as in the file I sent. Ideally there would be an option to insert an additional damp proof 'spacer' with a fill (also shown in the file I sent).

Thanks again,

Martyn.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Is there any intention of refining the tool to have the wall return all the way to the other wall as in the file I sent.

Our intention is always to serve the needs of our users, and we are working on improvements that will better serve our British market, specifically including improved capabilities of wall returns at openings. I cannot give you a date or release for these improvements at this time, however.

I also need this.

Closing cavities at openings is a common construction method here in Australia - particularly where the cavities are wider so that structural steel columns can be concealed in the cavities.

I have tried all sorts of work arounds but it is difficult to get a solution that works in both 2D and 3D.

Often the result is uising short sections of walls to make up a wall run OR using separate walls for the inside and outside leaves of walls. This is time consuming though, and when the drawings are exported to consultants the results are messy.