Do the backup files for Vectorworks sync?

I don't know how to exclude the backup files from Syncing on One Drive, but I would guess there is a way.

Alternatively, just set (in VW Preferences, Autosave pane) a custom location for all of the backup files to be stored and put that location on the local hard drive somewhere that is not part of One Drive.

image.png.3c58b84b4429c57e68df3be402153390.png

• Like 2

It is theoretically possible to exclude folders and the files in it from being put into the OneDrive cloud.

The way to do this is to go to the OneDrive app Help and Settings menu, then Settings and then in the account tab select Choose folders in the box showing the OneDrive account (it is the lower of the two boxes) and then deselect the folders you don't want to show up in the OneDrive cloud.

You would have to do that each and every time a backup subfolder is created by VW within your project folder to exclude that backup folder, and you would have to do that for each and every device syncing to the same OneDrive account as this setting is individual for each device.

This is a bit cumbersome so for practical purposes, if it would be an option for you, Pat's workaround as described in his reply is probably the easier solution as it is a set once and forget operation.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Art V said:

Pat's workaround as described in his reply is probably the easier solution as it is a set once and forget operation.

Yes.

I have this as my standard for ever for even non synching reasons.

Mainly Backups of all common 3D Apps under a single Folder on a fast local SSD.

To be able to find Backups and regularly clean up unneeded space wasters

from time to time.

For Cloud synching I would even be afraid of VW including all Resources saved in the file.

Each time you save you will get a large new file for Backup or Synch. Although only the

small geometry may have been saved.

(Apple Time Machine !?)

AFAIK DropBox is so fast and popular because it is able to just synch by the bytes that have

changed and no need to overwrite the whole file each time.

Not sure which other Clouds support these incremental Backups.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, zoomer said:

AFAIK DropBox is so fast and popular because it is able to just synch by the bytes that have

changed and no need to overwrite the whole file each time.

Not sure which other Clouds support these incremental Backups.

Microsoft OneDrive and pCloud also support block level syncing like Dropbox and maybe Box is also doing this now but not sure about that.

• Like 2