Landscape Area 3D with material

reGenerate Design

Question

Hello there,

I'm trying to use a component linked with a material within multiple landscape areas to chop out of my site model and replace the corresponding cut using an intended material. I'm excited about the possibility of this method because I feel like this will be an easy way to do cut and fill calculations, as well as material calculations to direct our contractor for landscape areas that will require different site prep treatments within the project.

I have created a simple rain garden (see landscape area labelled Landscape Area 1 in the image below) and created a landscape area for it that essentially cuts my model 45cm below final grade.  When I produced a section cut just with Landscape Area 1, everything works as expected.

1892915835_2021_08.02VWIssue-Plan.thumb.jpg.21cb225691b6c091f361c80465c0c993.jpg

But my problem is that when I completely surround that landscape area with another landscape area (Landscape Area 2), using its own material and thickness, it applies that material thickness and corresponding cut to the site model beneath my first landscape area in additional to the cut created by the first landscape area, making more cut that I want to (see cross section image below). Interestingly, if this second landscape area does NOT surround the first landscape area completely, everything works as expected.  Please note, I did clip landscape area 2 from landscape area 1, and offset landscape area 2 by 1mm so that the two landscape areas don't overlap. 

1838608374_2021_08.02VWIssue-Section.thumb.jpg.c0ecb34e497877fb87992df34db491ac.jpg

The inline images in this thread may not show everything because they could render weird, so I've also attached both images as .pdf's. I've also attached the VW file.

I'm having trouble explaining all of this, so I hope the images help to describe my issue.  I would be grateful for anyone's help on this - I think this technique could be useful for a lot of people to save time in the drafting/materials calculation/cut and fill calculation process. 

Many thanks,

Adrian

2021.08.02 VW Issue.pdf 2021.08.02 VW Issue.vwx

2 answers to this question

@reGenerate Design if you change the properties of the inner landscape area's component from Fixed Thickness to Tapered Component, the depth of grading will be correct and you cut and fill calcs will update accordingly.  The taper around the perimeter gets squared off below grade, but that's probably pretty accurate as to how it would be dug anyhow.

Here's what that update looks like in the section you set up in the file.

1001769659_ScreenShot2021-08-03at9_15_49AM.thumb.png.1f78bf7bf9b36e6eff69885ef9142ad3.png

• Like 2