Using Dropbox

When installing Dropbox it should create a Dropbox folder on your computer. That is the folder that gets synced with Dropbox. When you open your Dropbox Preferences there should be a Sync tab where you can set/change the folder location.

First turn off the smartsync which will put copies of your files on Dropbox only and remove them from your Mac to save disk space.

You then have three options...

1. either set your working folder as the Dropbox folder, which I wouldn't do because it will get cluttered with other things in the Dropbox cloud that gets synced into it

2. put your project folder in the Dropbox folder while the project is active or needed accessible, it will then remain on both your computer and be synced with Dropbox when something changes.

3. keep your folders on your master Mac as is and copy your working folders to the Dropbox folder when needed if you only want to be able to access them for viewing from your other Macs.

Option 2 is probably the more practical option if you also want to work on/edit the project files on your other Macs, then the updates will get synced to all Macs. Just don't work on the files in the Dropbox cloud, they could get corrupted if there is a glitch with your internet connection when (auto)saving the file or while working on it, plus that it can be very slow to work on if you don't have a very fast up/download with your internet connection.

• Like 4

It could be that Dropbox has better/more integration options with 3rd parties than iCloud.

I'm using Google Drive, Dropbox (back to free version now), Box (free with 50GB storage as that came with a higher end mobile a few years ago), OneDrive and switched from the paid Dropbox to pCloud for better GDPR compliance than Dropbox.

Dropbox and Box have far more integration options with 3rd party services/products than any of the others I am using. Google Drive being a decent 2nd to them. All have their advantages and disadvantages compared to the others so there is not really a best cloud storage provider, though some are generally better than a lot of alternatives out there. Depending on who I have to collaborate with I choose one the above, though pCloud is my default cloud storage now. As usual ymmv with things like this.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Art V said:

It could be that Dropbox has better/more integration options with 3rd parties than iCloud.

So what are these 3rd party integrations Vectorworks users are using and what type of problem(s) are they solving?  I’m genuinely interested in any advantages these services might have.

When I take on a new client, most of the time they opt for using my iCloud for file sharing if I’m responsible for setting it all up. Though I am seeing more of my Mac architect clients using Dropbox lately when they are taking responsibility for setting the shares up.  Of the clients I have asked, all stated they are using Dropbox “because it is easier to get consultants in a mixed OS environment set up.”  When I prod a little deeper, it turns out the “difficulties” are usually getting a Windows user to use an Apple ID, which just seems like tribal/political behavior rather than something materially important 🙂  But I wonder if it boils down to how easy it was in the past to map a Dropbox to appear as a logical drive in the Windows environment compared to doing the same from iCloud in a Windows environment.  People are creatures of habit after all.

One of the companies I work with does some really sophisticated file sharing and mirroring of their server on Dropbox that seems like it would be impossible, and likely unneeded, on iCloud, but that seems to be an outlier among my clients.  I’m always interested in hearing how other people are doing things.

4 hours ago, jeff prince said:

So what are these 3rd party integrations Vectorworks users are using and what type of problem(s) are they solving?  I’m genuinely interested in any advantages these services might have.

It depends a bit on the kind of Dropbox account, i.e. private/SMB or the business account, the latter may have options that iCloud may not have.

Regarding 3rd party integrations you could think of CRM systems, Bluebeam integration (in case one is using Bluebeam, though with their move to a cloud based solution this may become of less use), project management software etc.  Or if you would be using Adobe software for further editing 3D rendered images the integration with Adobe CC might be of some use. It's mostly about solving the hassle of manually copying files into/from Dropbox it seems so that you have easer access.

Just to give an idea below is a link to a subset of integrations that might be used by some VW users. Though I think most would use it just for filesharing.

https://www.dropbox.com/app-integrations#business-user/construction&business-user/project-management&business-user/workflow&business-user/productivity

I'm mostly using it for file sharing because I'm usually the one sending out the review/final documents, or to collect files from multiple people in one place if needed by setting up an upload folder for a project so most integrations are of limited or no use to me. Though Bluebeam integration would be nice if I would still be using Bluebeam.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, Art V said:

When installing Dropbox it should create a Dropbox folder on your computer. That is the folder that gets synced with Dropbox. When you open your Dropbox Preferences there should be a Sync tab where you can set/change the folder location.

First turn off the smartsync which will put copies of your files on Dropbox only and remove them from your Mac to save disk space.

You then have three options...

1. either set your working folder as the Dropbox folder, which I wouldn't do because it will get cluttered with other things in the Dropbox cloud that gets synced into it

2. put your project folder in the Dropbox folder while the project is active or needed accessible, it will then remain on both your computer and be synced with Dropbox when something changes.

3. keep your folders on your master Mac as is and copy your working folders to the Dropbox folder when needed if you only want to be able to access them for viewing from your other Macs.

Option 2 is probably the more practical option if you also want to work on/edit the project files on your other Macs, then the updates will get synced to all Macs. Just don't work on the files in the Dropbox cloud, they could get corrupted if there is a glitch with your internet connection when (auto)saving the file or while working on it, plus that it can be very slow to work on if you don't have a very fast up/download with your internet connection.

Thanks, I now have my current project folders on my local Mac HD and by holding down alt I copied them onto Dropbox.

I think that may case is a bit different as I work mostly from my home office Mac but have a high street office with the two other Macs that get used by freelancers, each of those two Macs has its own local current jobs folders. Often I need to work remotely on a job that is on one of the high street office Macs, presumably that means that I'm working on the Dropbox cloud as Option 2? I have noticed when doing so that publishing can be quite laggy.

The ultimate aim is for all the jobs to be on the home office Mac because it's used most, and then the other two Macs would operate via the cloud and my local files would be updated. I'm still a bit unclear though if this would be the best way to work!  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi all:

Please note that the latest Vectorworks Cloud Services desktop app has a new feature to select whether files sync to your local drive or only exist on the cloud.  I saved a ton of space I am using in my VCS account by not syncing some of my files to my local drive.  And a reminder anyone with a Vectorworks login has 2GB of VCS storage; if you have a Vectorworks Service Select license you get 20GB of space on VCS.  VCS can be used with Project Sharing and you can share folders for general read and write amongst contractors and/or collaborators.

To use this feature update to the latest app version from the About pane, and control the syncing to your local drive through the Settings pane.

• Like 3
On 9/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Cadplan Architecture said:

Often I need to work remotely on a job that is on one of the high street office Macs, presumably that means that I'm working on the Dropbox cloud as Option 2? I have noticed when doing so that publishing can be quite laggy.

The probably better way to avoid lag is to have the working folder on your local machine within the dropbox folder. This will sync automatically to dropbox. On any other machine that you want to work on with the same files set up the local dropbox folder to sync with your dropbox account, or use the dropbox sharing function to share the working folder. That way each machine will have a synced local copy that you can use to work on and there should be much less lag. Of course syncing could cause some slowing down anyway but not as much as when you would be working on files located on the dropbox server folder.

The only caveat with this is that you have to make sure the local folder on the machine you are using has been fully synced before you start working on the files. E.g. if you work on one machine and switch to another machine and start working on the files on that one while the sync has not fully completed you'll end up with a messy situation, which is why you should have Dropbox finish syncing first when you start on another machine, or manually force a sync if the time between switching is relatively short (e.g. a few minutes depending on the amount of data that has to be synced).

• Like 2
On 9/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, Art V said:

The probably better way to avoid lag is to have the working folder on your local machine within the dropbox folder. This will sync automatically to dropbox. On any other machine that you want to work on with the same files set up the local dropbox folder to sync with your dropbox account, or use the dropbox sharing function to share the working folder. That way each machine will have a synced local copy that you can use to work on and there should be much less lag. Of course syncing could cause some slowing down anyway but not as much as when you would be working on files located on the dropbox server folder.

The only caveat with this is that you have to make sure the local folder on the machine you are using has been fully synced before you start working on the files. E.g. if you work on one machine and switch to another machine and start working on the files on that one while the sync has not fully completed you'll end up with a messy situation, which is why you should have Dropbox finish syncing first when you start on another machine, or manually force a sync if the time between switching is relatively short (e.g. a few minutes depending on the amount of data that has to be synced).

Thanks, I'm still really unclear whether I've got things set up correctly and I'm anxious about messing things up with duplicates. I think I need an idiot's guide to Dropbox!