Editing ConnectCAD Devices

Hello!

I'm new to ConnectCAD and am running into the issue of editing the devices. So the company I'm working for wants the device boxes to have rounded edges and instead of it using the Device Tag, and Description, they want it to be the Device Name, and Manufacture/Model. Similarly to updating and creating label legends for lighting devices. Is there a way to edit the default legend of ConnectCAD Devices? Or do I need to go through every single symbol and delete the box and remake it to a rounded edge? But when I double tap to edit the symbol it doesn't let me change the device tag and description text box. I tried looking up online but am unsuccessful, and I feel like this will be wasting unnecessary drafting time but if that's the only way then oh well.  😅

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Nina Agelvis,

You can edit your device graphics, then save the device as a symbol and use that symbol to insert new devices with the Device Tool. That way, you will have to edit the device graphics only once. As for the texts, you will have to find the symbol used by the device in the resource manager and edit it. Editing this symbol will affect all devices using it. In the Edit Symbol context you will have to use the link text to record functionality to change what each text object is displaying. In the device label symbols we are using the dev_rec record to display the device information, so for name you would have to link the text object to the 'dev_rec'.'name' field.

Let me know if you need further information.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thank you Nikolay!

So is there not a way to set the settings for creating a new device? I know that you can change the symbol through the recourse manager or double clicking on it to edit it and save it as a new symbol or replace the existing one. But when creating a new device it automatically creates a rectangular box (which I am hoping for it to be with rounded edges) and then with the default blue text that display Device name and Description (Which I was hoping to add another line for manufacturer). Is there not a way to have these settings set prior to creating the new device? or must these options be edited after creating the new device?

Edited by Nina Agelvis
Forgot to quote
2 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Nina Agelvis,

You can edit your device graphics, then save the device as a symbol and use that symbol to insert new devices with the Device Tool. That way, you will have to edit the device graphics only once. As for the texts, you will have to find the symbol used by the device in the resource manager and edit it. Editing this symbol will affect all devices using it. In the Edit Symbol context you will have to use the link text to record functionality to change what each text object is displaying. In the device label symbols we are using the dev_rec record to display the device information, so for name you would have to link the text object to the 'dev_rec'.'name' field.

Let me know if you need further information.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thank you Nikolay!

So is there not a way to set the settings for creating a new device? I know that you can change the symbol through the recourse manager or double clicking on it to edit it and save it as a new symbol or replace the existing one. But when creating a new device it automatically creates a rectangular box (which I am hoping for it to be with rounded edges) and then with the default blue text that display Device name and Description (Which I was hoping to add another line for manufacturer). Is there not a way to have these settings set prior to creating the new device? or must these options be edited after creating the new device?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, Nina Agelvis said:

Thank you Nikolay!

- Unfortunately, as of VW 2021 there is no way to preset these. The good news is that we are working on improvements in this workflow, so stay tuned for future updates! 🙂

• Like 1