Simple geometry loses ability to use math

toobiloo

Question

Hello,

I am having an issue where simple geometry (i.e. rectangles) are losing ability to be edited for size using the object info palette. For instance, if I create a rectangle, and then would like to resize it using the Width or Height fields in the OIP, it has no effect.  The value just reverts to original value.  This is using template file that were imported from VW2012.  Hoping I do not need to rebuild my template files. Currently running VW2021 SP4

5 answers to this question

On 7/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, toobiloo said:

has no effect

You probably already do all this already, but just to make sure -

Multiply function in the OIP fields uses * rather than x

Update of entry in the OIP fields is not immediate.  It requires a subsequent action.  Almost anything will do - Click in drawing space, click in another OIP field, press Tab or Return key, etc.

Seems very possible that a v2012 template is broken by v2021, but not sure.  Test new geometry in a new native v2021 file - should update as expected.  Then test by Pasting into the new v2021 file some old, unresponsive geometry converted to v2021 from a v2012 file.  Might reveal something?

-B

I have an update on this.  It seems to have something to do with autocorrect and stacked fractions.  Not sure if this is unique to my set up. I have MacBook Pro 8,2 running macOS 10.13.6.  Running VW2021 sp4.1 Here is what happens:

Scenario 1: I have a circle or any geometry, not unique to circles, I edit the diameter in the OIP by subtracting 1/2" macOS autocorrects to ½" and VW2021 fails to do the math

Scenario 2: I have a circle with a diameter that has a fraction in it, say 10' 0 1/2" I click on diameter to edit in OIP, say *2, macOS autocorrects the fraction in the diameter to a stacked fraction (10'0 ½") and vectorworks fails to do the math

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

• Like 1

I'm not using a mac but VW does not support opentype features, so I can imagine this autocorrection to stacked fractions etc will break calculations in the OIP.

It should be possible to turn of this autocorrection, does that solve the issue when you try again? If yes then it is this autocorrection, if not then you might have a bug specific for your configuration and then VW support should have a look at it.

Anyone else having this problem?  Turning off autocorrect settings for fractions fixed this problem for me.  I can turn off stacked fractions in Mac, but this is annoying for other reasons, although much less annoying than not being able to use OIP to do math.  For me (macOS 10.14.6 hacked onto MacPro early 2008) to turn off stacked fractions System Prefs>Keyboard>Text then delete all the autocorrect settings for fractions in the list.  I could not figure out how to shut this off for Vectorworks only so it is system wide.

• Like 1