Stair tool - straight stair with landing

bohlr

I am trying to create a "U" shapped stair by combining an "L" (landing left) run with a straight run with a landing. Up 5 risers to the landing on the straight run than on to the landing left run. When I attempt to create the straight run with the landing after the 5th tread one of two things happens.

1. with the "draw top tread" checked it creates a "up 0" at the end of the landing.

2. Unchecking the "draw top tread" forces the landing into a position after the 3rd tread and befor the final 2 treads even though the "Landing tread" is entered as 5 in the OIP.

Any advice?

Richard, here is work-around (I have used it a few times): Use two separate sets of stairs, and an extruded landing.

In other words, in top plan view draw a rectangular landing, then extrude it to it's actual thickness, then switch to a front (or side) view and move the landing up to it's actual position in "z" space. Now go back to plan view and create a stair object for each run of stairs (obviously the upper set will need to be moved up to be accurate in 3d). If it bothers you to have two "up x" arrows/text, just turn it off and draw your own.

Hope that helps,

Peter Cipes

I have used as many as four separate stairs in the same drawing to illustrate one staircase. I am not a fan of the 2-D depiction the stair tool generates so I generally have the default stair class invisible on all but the 3-D model sheet. I then use a copy of the stairs converted to lines, grouped, then edited to look better. While the stair tool is pretty good, it would be nice to be able to edit stairs similar to editing the "root" polygons that make-up a roof.