Multiple View Sheets

buz

Having a tough time here. I create the necessary layer links for my multiple views and get it all just how I want it and 'save sheet' with the appropriate layers and classes visable. Things similar to this happen to any 'saved sheet'. On another there are two views of a remodel - a before and an after ...... invarably the before shifts on top of the after yet the selection 'dots' are where they belong. Getting the selection dots highlighted and unlocked and moving them ever so slightly will rerender the old view in it's intended position on the sheet.

Any time I select the 'basement elevations' saved sheet my elevation and isometric views have reverted to plan views.

Any suggestions? Any other info needed for diagnosis?

Most aggravating.

I went over this with Mathew G (wondering if he still works there) and he asked me to send the file to him for tech to look at - never heard back. That was a couple years (18 months?) ago. Was having the same difficulty with having two elevations of the same building on the same sheet - each time the saved sheet was selected one of the two elevations would overlay the other.

"Saved Sheets" does not save the 3d orientation of any layer other than the active layer. We wish it did, but it doesn't. So selecting your Saved Sheet will not return you to exactly the view you had when you saved it if it involved other layers being in a 3d view. Those layers will be visible in whatever mode they happen to be in.

I'm not sure if this is what your problem is - maybe you could be more specific about exactly what you are experiencing, and what version/platform you are using.

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

"Saved Sheets" does not save the 3d orientation of any layer other than the active layer. We wish it did, but it doesn't. So selecting your Saved Sheet will not return you to exactly the view you had when you saved it if it involved other layers being in a 3d view. Those layers will be visible in whatever mode they happen to be in.

I'm not sure if this is what your problem is - maybe you could be more specific about exactly what you are experiencing, and what version/platform you are using.

quote:

Originally posted by P Retondo:

"Saved Sheets" does not save the 3d orientation of any layer other than the active layer. ..........

You were able to interpret my problem, saving a sheet with multiple views - some being 3d views has driven me nuts.

As to my platform and version - it's quaoted below eah of my posts.

Thank you. Wonder if VWA 10 handles this any differently?

quote:

in VWA10 there is a 'Model View Tool' that should help this problem.

Robert, would you expound (expand) on "should"?

I am not a professional draftsperson/architect by any means but needed a tool (program) that would do 'simple' drawings for me. Simple would equate to being able to draw things no more complicated than a home and in all 'views' necessary.

I started with a program called TurboCAD back in 1995/6 and quickly found it to be chocked full of bugs and switched to MiniCAD 7. Have been 'fumbling' along ever since through VW8 and up to VWA 9.5.3. I'm really giving 10 some serious consideration but for the 'thousands' spent already it makes me wonder if it's 'me or the program'? Would love to send you a file to show you how an amatuer works and maybe get some feedback where I'm failing.

I read your eBulletins etc as well as view project examples from the Nemetschek website and wonder how such complicated projects get done when I can't even get some simple elevations/sections/models done.

Thank you for any consideration.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Model View tool creates coordinated groups of layerlinks and automatically rotates them to the desired view on the active layer. It's a convenience feature, but a significant one, over using just layer links, because you can click on a previously placed Model View and change its view.

Generally speaking, if you're using Layer Links to lay out a sheet, you shouldn't be changing the 3D view of the layer those LLinks are on. Set up another layer, called "study model" or somesuch, and put your layerlinks there -- that will let you look at your project from any angle.

buz, to get different views of a 3d object, create a link in a layer and rotate the link in 3d space instead of changing the layer's viewpoint. This is the technique that is behind what Robert is talking about. You can insert multiple links and look at all sides of an object at once, either in a single layer or using multiple layers all set to a "top" viewpoint. VWA has convenient tools that will set all this up for you.

Sounds like you are working with 3d models, which is more than a lot of professionals do with a CAD program.

[ 01-06-2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]