Doors for instance ...

buz

I have two options to install a door

a. Palettes>Objects and palettes>Object Browser

Editting the Organize>Plug-In only affects those created by the OIP. I have a set of parameters preferred over the defult parameters and have made those changes.

I guess the question is kind of two fold.....

1. Why the two 'means' of installing a door (for example)

2. Why would one choose the tool palette method over the OIP method or vice versa.

Either allows modification through the OIP but only plug in defaults (Organize>Plug-In) work on the OIP ones. Maybe a three fold question - can the Palettes>Objects door defaults be permanently modified?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not a bad question (or two), but to answer it completely requires an explantation that I'll provide for others reading this thread, so bear with me:

All plug-in objects have a "parameter record" that defines and stores their properties, such as height, width, etc. This "parameter record" has its defaults defined in two ways:

1) The "global default values" of the plug-in parameter record are defined and stored with the plug-in itself. These values can be edited (as you have apparently done) using the Plug-in Editor (this is the "Create Plug-in..." commmand under the Organize:Scripts menu).

2) The "document default values" of the plug-in parameter record are stored with the drawing file. These values are editable with the little "preferences" button found when you have the tool for that object activated. These values are also the ones you set when you place a plug-in object in a document for the first time.

So, the plug-in tool gives you a way to set the object's default values in the document without having to re-set it's global defaults.

The Object Browser (or the Resource Browser as it's called in v10 and later) allows you to create plug-in objects with a pre-set collection of parameter values. There is more than one kind of door, so you can use libraries of symbols set to be inserted as plug-in objects to store some of the wide variety of combinations.

Robert, thanks a lot for clarifying how these preferences work.

I'm a little unclear about buz's question. The OIP (object information palette) gives info about an object, but isn't a tool for creating one. The Objects palette is one place to find the door and window PIOs; also there are a bunch of door and window symbols in the Resources palette, which is I guess what you (Robert) are referring to, but they are objects that have already been created and stored in a file (I think).

Are the PIO door and window tools, wherever they are located in the workspace, the only actual object creation tools, or is there another set?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

P Retondo asked:

"Are the PIO door and window tools, wherever they are located in the workspace, the only actual object creation tools, or is there another set?"

I think this is a matter of semantics. Plug-in objects (PIOs) can be saved (either in the active current document or in a external library document) as a symbol that converts to a plug-in object on insertion, OR they can be inserted using their particular tool. Once inserted, the OI Palette can be used to change their properties. Like any other VW object, PIOs can be duplicated, and then have their properties further modified. So there are several ways to "create" a new PIO in your document.