data tagin viewports

TKA

Question

Out of the blue my furniture tag selectively stopped working, I have been using it without a problem for a long time, now I annotated viewports with tags, after some changes wanted to add tags and nothing works, existing tags display data.  Then it started working again but only in some viewports, I tested the same object in different viewports and sometimes it works sometimes not, cant figure out what is the setting that cause this.

12 answers to this question

it doesn't work for me even in the sections set in design layer, the 2 items lost their link and I cannot re establish them in existing view port, I cut a new one and copy/pasted annotations and re established links, the problem is that on Monday links will be gone.

worked before.png

doesnt work #1.png

doesnt work #2.png

new section cut and it works till it doesnt.png

22 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

@TKA, Okay now I see the problem too, thanks! This is a known issue that we are working on. I will let you know here when it gets fixed.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Can you confirm the specifics of the issue being worked on? I get inconsistent behaviour using data tags in section VPs so just wondering if this will be addressed. Thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Can you confirm the specifics of the issue being worked on? I get inconsistent behaviour using data tags in section VPs so just wondering if this will be addressed. Thanks

- We are working on fixing the issue with Data Tags detaching from objects in section VPs. If you think that your issue is something else, please submit a bug so that we can check it too.

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov I have had Wall tags in the past which wouldn't pick up the Walls in section VPs unless the extents were extended but I got the impression at the time this was a known issue? Plus a couple of days ago I had a tag for use on Windows that again worked fine in Top/Plan VPs but when I tried it in a section VP it wouldn't 'see' the Window (perhaps I needed to extend the extents in this case too - I didn't try). So less an issue with tags detaching from objects + more them not attaching in the first place. I have not really used tags enough to fully understand where they work + where they don't, I was just interested to know what issues you had identified + were working to resolve. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov I have had Wall tags in the past which wouldn't pick up the Walls in section VPs unless the extents were extended but I got the impression at the time this was a known issue? Plus a couple of days ago I had a tag for use on Windows that again worked fine in Top/Plan VPs but when I tried it in a section VP it wouldn't 'see' the Window (perhaps I needed to extend the extents in this case too - I didn't try). So less an issue with tags detaching from objects + more them not attaching in the first place. I have not really used tags enough to fully understand where they work + where they don't, I was just interested to know what issues you had identified + were working to resolve. Thanks

- If you have a section viewport the Data Tag sees only the object which are inside its extents. So make sure that you have either infinite extents or the objects that you want to tag are inside your finite extents. If you have problems with this, you can send a test file here showing the problem and I will see what is wrong there.

Thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov in the case of the Wall objects which weren't being seen by the tags I was initially just displaying the cut plane + I think I needed to add extents in order for the tag to work. I didn't want to show anything else in the VP so I was limited to how far I could set the extents. But surely I should be able to show a wall cross-section (cut plane only) + the data tag would see it? From memory I had to play with the size of the extents a while before the tags worked.

With the window object, the extents were definitely set such that the object fell within them, otherwise it wouldn't have been visible in the VP, but despite this the tag didn't pick up the window.

But let me test it all again properly + get a fuller handle on what's going on + I'll send you a file. Thanks for taking the time to look at this

• Like 1

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov I must apologise I've tested this thoroughly + the tags work perfectly in section VPs in all circumstances! There was definitely an issue previously with tagging walls in section because I remember discussing it here but it works fine now! So was perhaps a VW2020 issue or resolved with a service pack? And the window that didn't pick up a couple of days ago must have been user error as no problem now. So thanks for prompting me to look at it properly + glad not to be nursing a grievance unnecessarily!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov I must apologise I've tested this thoroughly + the tags work perfectly in section VPs in all circumstances! There was definitely an issue previously with tagging walls in section because I remember discussing it here but it works fine now! So was perhaps a VW2020 issue or resolved with a service pack? And the window that didn't pick up a couple of days ago must have been user error as no problem now. So thanks for prompting me to look at it properly + glad not to be nursing a grievance unnecessarily!

- Thanks for the feedback and the retesting! 🙂