Door Schedule but with a twist ... room names

Hi,

I am currently working on a door schedule of a very large scale project. In our typical schedule we have a column dedicated to the room names where you can see the name of either space touching the door in question (see attached png). 

Is there a smart way to show this in the worksheet or do I need to fill up this information manually for each door, in one of the door user field I guess.

image.thumb.png.f208a637b73798e78e0fa6167906fc38.png

Thanks

Unless you can link the doors to space objects like you can with the WinDoor tool (which is just in Australasia) then I don’t think this is possible with the vw native door tool.

For large projects though we find there is a lot of repetition of doors so we use door styles to represent each type of door. On which case the same door could be in a number of locations.

52 minutes ago, michaelk said:

Doors and windows (in the native US door and window objects) have a location field.  Door.Location and Window.Location

These fields still need to be completed manually for each location do they not? It looks like @Gregovitch has a field in his worksheet and is looking for an automated way they could be completed. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Boh said:

WinDoor tool

Never heard of this one, what is this and where can I find it?

We do indeed uses styles per door type. This said it does opens up a new Pandora boxes of questions (I should maybe start another topic for this). I am currently working on the office template/resource folder, and I do find it a bit excessives to do a style per door/per frame and per fire rating. I feel like it could be interesting to have some variable to make the list of doors a bit less long and it does also have the powerful feature of being editable from the worksheet. How do you do and what would be the best practice?

Thanks

2 hours ago, michaelk said:

Doors and windows (in the native US door and window objects) have a location field.  Door.Location and Window.Location.  If you are using door and window styles, just make sure that that data field is not set to "by style".

So I did this, but now I am struggling on how to fill this location field (beside the worksheet directly). Is there a way to enter it by selecting the door in the model space?

1 minute ago, Gregovitch said:

Never heard of this one, what is this and where can I find it?

Like many other localizations have, Australian based WinDoor Tool

was far superior to standard US Doors and Windows.

WinDoor was once available as a PlugIn in the past for some time.

Meanwhile VW bought the Australian company that localized VW

for Australia, New Zealand, for market reasons .... and it was said

that WinDoor will find its way into VW 2022 US version too.

I would have rather preferred to have access to and choice between

all localized PIO Tools, in my case the German Windows and Doors,

or even better the Benelux versions.

But quite an improvement over the current state.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Like many other localizations have, Australian based WinDoor Tool

was far superior to standard US Doors and Windows.

WinDoor was once available as a PlugIn in the past for some time.

Meanwhile VW bought the Australian company that localized VW

for Australia, New Zealand, for market reasons .... and it was said

that WinDoor will find its way into VW 2022 US version too.

I would have rather preferred to have access to and choice between

all localized PIO Tools, in my case the German Windows and Doors,

or even better the Benelux versions.

But quite an improvement over the current state.

Thanks for the info. I guess I can wait for 2022. Manually entering all of those information and coordinating that the names/ room number are correct sounds like some good old waste of time. Sounds crazy they did not implemented this earlier. 

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

@Boh so with Windoor can you link a door to two spaces - one either side of the door - so that both room names can be reported in a worksheet?

As I understand you can only link 1 space to a WinDoor object at the moment. There are user fields available with the WinDoor object so these fields could be used to add additional rooms though that would have to be done manually.

This vid covers linking spaces from about 2min to 6min mark:

Yes, in the screenshot the "Location" column is the column with the formula "=GETSPACENAMEFOROBJ"

I think I found this out after some deep forum searching myself, it's a shame this isn't better publicised by VW - often the solutions are there but just not obvious!

The function returns the names of spaces surrounding the object in question so in the case of a door with space on either side it will return the name of both spaces. An entrance door for example with a space on one side only will only return the name of that one space

• Like 1

@Wes Gardner

@_James

Thanks to your posts I've been using the GetSpaceNameforObj function to return door/window location details as per your worksheets but for some reason some of the doors/windows will not return the name of their Spaces. The way I've modelled this particular building I have existing walls with doors/windows in then separate walls internally representing wall linings. Where I've done this I've added duplicate doors/windows which are just uncased openings to extend the door/window proper through the second internal wall. So often the Space objects are not extending right up to the doors/windows. What's strange though is that in most cases this doesn't matter + the object picks up the Space name despite having no physical contact with it but in other cases I need to edit the boundary of the space to extend it closer to the door/window, which is a pain because it messes up the 3D representation of the space.

I also have another door which is internal + IS in direct contact with both spaces either side of it + yet for some reason the worksheet only recognises one of the spaces. I can't understand what is different about this door/space that it shouldn't work...

Are there any tricks you can think of that I could try? Just strange that it works fine in most cases but not in others...

Thanks

Edited by Tom W.