How best to create a sloping 3D shape for this use case - please help

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a garden design where I want to have some topiary hedge which is cut in such a way that it slopes from the edge of one object (a raised water feature) up to the edge of another object which is at a higher elevation (for context, the visual effect will be that the change in slope will be less obvious because the topiary will be cut to meet the two edges and thus make it look quite seamless).

I've created the two objects (water features) using slabs feature, which is fine as their tops are flat. One is 500mm high, the next is 700mm high. However, I'm now after some advice as to the best tool to create a sloping 3d shape to go between the two.  It is a non linear shape and so the slab drainage tool doesn't give the effect I need. Perhaps I should use the roof tool?

Thoughts?

Just use the 3D Modelling tools to create a 3D object in the shape you want for example draw a 2D polygon in Top/Plan first then extrude it upwards then in Front or side view use Split Tool to slice the top off at the desired angle. Then convert the object into an Auto Hybrid to get the desired Top/Plan appearance. Or have I misunderstood the question?

18 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Just use the 3D Modelling tools to create a 3D object in the shape you want for example draw a 2D polygon in Top/Plan first then extrude it upwards then in Front or side view use Split Tool to slice the top off at the desired angle. Then convert the object into an Auto Hybrid to get the desired Top/Plan appearance. Or have I misunderstood the question?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.  This does work, my only issue with auto hybrids is that you can't fill them with any colour/render on the top plan (unless I'm missing something?), which is why I've tended to avoid them in the past as I need to do both 3D renderings and 2D top plans, and if using hybrids for 3D I end up having to pretty much draw the 2D version separately using other shapes in order to render it.  If you know a way around this then please let me know. Thanks!

aha ok then another option would be to convert it into a hybrid symbol. That way the top/plan representation can be anything you want. But it sounds like that's what you have been doing anyway + were looking for a more automated way...?

This was done using a Tapered Slab + Slab Drainage:

1303357136_Screenshot2021-07-24at09_42_50.thumb.png.458da8702e1c941615c3b88283e77808.png

1840537238_Screenshot2021-07-24at09_41_35.thumb.png.06387d451bfd3dc1056b5138568bb679.png

925212452_Screenshot2021-07-24at09_42_32.thumb.png.be61ed6ffa464e44a8dfb47bb79f2cf8.png

But probably not the most straightforward way to achieve the desired slope. Instead you could use a standard slab + achieve the slope by subtracting a solid from it (or adding a solid to it) rather than using slab drainage...?

Or try a Hardscape instead, as many options for editing slope/profile/grade here + good control over attributes

• Like 1

AutoHybrid is the way to go.

Edit the 2d Display Options

Make sure your cut plane is above the hedge and control the look Below Cut Plane via the Class

You can then use Class Overrides to further control the Top Plan look in various Viewports

Hedge.jpg

• Like 2