Paste-in-place fails (imported file)

line-weight

Question

Attached is a stripped out version of a file that I imported from VW2018 to VW2021.

1. Open file, you should see these two objects:

642407215_Screenshot2021-07-22at12_30_22.jpg.83f4ac9d100f7ed7a483a0a97611eafb.jpg

2. Select both objects, and copy

3. Paste-in-place, and I get this:

1498511832_Screenshot2021-07-22at12_30_14.jpg.f5f8daa7fef38608182eb713ee86e734.jpg

The pasted objects are in a different location, below the originals. All the details in the OIP seem to match.

Also, if I paste-in-place these objects into a new empty file, they lose all of their height/peaks info.

importedfrom 2018.vwx

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Is it anything to do with the fact you have a top offset of -1962 + a bottom offset of -193 kind of meaning the wall is upside down?

If I copy one of the walls + change the offsets to positive values the copied wall when copied will paste in place correctly

I don't think it's upside down because the top offset is relative to the layer wall height (2535), and the bottom offset is relative to the layer elevation (0).

That said, where the wall is actually sitting (upon import) doesn't seem to bear relation to these levels, whereas the pasted-in-place version is.

The location on import is correct as in, that's where it was in the VW2018 file.

So I think there's some kind of bug here.

There should be a difference in the OIP based on the pasted positions, but there isn't, so it looks like it is a bug somewhere.

If I copy the file in a blank drawing without the layer in the original drawing and then copy/paste in place in that one it works as it should.

When I go to the layers tab in the organization palette the layer elevation is not showing in the column.

When I double click on the layer the properties show that the elevation is "0". I change it to 5, close the layer property and it shows 5 in the elevation column. Reopening the layer properties and setting the elevation back to "0" now shows "0" as elevation in the column and then I close the organization palette.

Now the wall items shift to the position of the paste in place as you are getting. When I do another copy and paste in place of the new position it works as intended.

My guess would be that it may have to do with the layer elevation not being registered properly somehow.

There appear to be serious problems with the file. I would be very careful with it and anything based on it.

I tried to draw a line from the origin straight down what should have been about 100mm. and I got the following in the popup display.  I am pretty sure I did not draw a line 11 million mm long.

image.png.f5a11f47168277f3953187101d3e43be.png

Can you check the file in VW2018 and import it again. Or copy/paste on a layer/layer basis and then import the copied file?

Or did you change the user origin or georeference?

12 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

There appear to be serious problems with the file. I would be very careful with it and anything based on it.

I tried to draw a line from the origin straight down what should have been about 100mm. and I got the following in the popup display.  I am pretty sure I did not draw a line 11 million mm long.

image.png.f5a11f47168277f3953187101d3e43be.png

Can you check the file in VW2018 and import it again. Or copy/paste on a layer/layer basis and then import the copied file?

Or did you change the user origin or georeference?

Because I've moved to an M1 mac, VW2018 is a little bit glitchy for me now and I have fully switched to VW2021 - however, I have opened the original file in VW2018, and tried the same paste-in-place test, and the same thing happens (the wall element re-appears below where it should be).

I'm fairly sure I haven't changed the user origin or georeference at any point.

I'm a bit worried that you say it has serious problems. While I could copy on a layer by layer basis into a new file, this would presumably lose all of my sheet layers & viewports that I have got set up.

13 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Not quite clear what you mean here - isn't that a line drawn from somewhere off towards the horizon, along the horizontal layer plane, rather than straight down?