Model disappears when entering flyover mode (or leaving top / plan view)

William Green

Question

My model which has been working fine for a few days suddenly started disappearing when i use flyover mode, render or try to leave top/plan view in general. The model is still there as i can select it and see the form of it highlighted. (see screen grab)

Ive tried and checked unified view and made sure all the layers are the same scale. I cant think of any of reason for this happening. Please help. 584553247_Screenshot2021-07-21at17_11_03.thumb.png.f7c668455bfec71a0df3528030086ada.png1138404986_Screenshot2021-07-21at17_12_20.thumb.png.2d6a54e1cca4f6c61516c52cfc813f48.png

16 answers to this question

029_Stage 1 Model_210719 NO IMPORT.vwxOk please see attached file. It's worth noting that it was messing up in a previous incarnation where when doing walk through mode it was cutting a section (a bit like an unwanted clip cube) through objects a set distance in front of me whilst i walked around. Through this forum I concluded it to be potentially due to an imported DXF. So i copied all the layers into a new file omitting the DXF and that problem went away. 

Ive updated my signature sorry. 

many thanks 

I had the same thing happen to my model. Was just about to start new post thread:

Model disappears when flyover-

This only happens occasionally and have had to rebuild the model in the past. Hoping to avoid that this time. 

Occasionally something happens to my model that makes it disappear when using the flyover tool.  It doesn't happen every time, usually when more layers are selected and more often in OpenGL, not Wireframe.

Has anyone had this issue and aware of a fix?

By the way, I did not have the issue resolved by deselecting ClipCube. 

I've also got the Navigation Graphics set to "Best Compatability"

I can upload the file if that helps...

more...

-after disappearing, if I Ctrl A to select all it will indeed select everything, but no highlighted items shown

-the only way to reset and have model reappear is to go back to top/plan mode

-definitely improves with fewer layers selected

-I'm guessing a graphics card issue

7 minutes ago, Tmorgan said:

I am having the same issue in Flyover or any view other than Plan. Clip Cube is not checked. Actually cannot return to plan view with any visibility.

I've had that in the past if I recall. Lucky this time that I can reset to Top/Plan.

I'm using VW 2018 on a PC for what it's worth.

@jakez& @Tmorgan

Cornucopia of ideas (well, a few) that probably have no bearing:

• stray object or two far from origin?
  • objects with insane vertex count recently added?
  • corrupt object/symbol messing with graphics?
  • drawing is in a saved view with settings that prevent certain layers/classes from showing?
  • unified view settings preventing proper display?
  • a stuck key on the keyboard?
  • mouse battery?

Hope you get this back on track

-B

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

@jakez& @Tmorgan

Cornucopia of ideas (well, a few) that probably have no bearing:

• stray object or two far from origin?
  • objects with insane vertex count recently added?
  • corrupt object/symbol messing with graphics?
  • drawing is in a saved view with settings that prevent certain layers/classes from showing?
  • unified view settings preventing proper display?
  • a stuck key on the keyboard?
  • mouse battery?

Hope you get this back on track

-B

Solved!!

@Benson Shaw

Just what I needed; a checklist!

It was the corrupt object that had me thinking. My biggest hint was that it didn't happen every time. About 1/3 of the time I was able to flyover especially if I clicked and held for a few second then rotated. 

I started with each layer selected and tried to flyover. I systematically deselected a layer and tried the flyover again. Eventually I isolated the top floor plan containing the walls only. Even if I only selected this layer it would glitch. Next I selected "top/plan" with just this layer then "Zoom/Fit to Objects". There it was. Then "Front" and "Zoom/Fit to object" and the ruler scale went to some astronomically distant number. I think I was viewing the model from Neptune. 

A quick redraw of one layer (still in prelim phase) and I'm back in business.

My guess as to what happened is something in the "AEC/Fit Walls to Objects..." command. I think I'll do this manually next time.

Thank you everyone and all the best,

Jake

Edited by jakez
  • Like 3