OZCAD acquisition

1 hour ago, bc said:

So does this mean that ALL users will be able to utilize WinDoor?

I have this sinking feeling that it doesn't.

I was wondering the same and also think it probably doesn't if OzCAD remains an independent subsidiary of Vectorworks Inc., just like e.g. Vectorworks, Archicad, AllPlan and Cinema4D are all independent subsidiaries of Nemetschek.

Oh well... in the past they used to have a lady sitting next to the public toilets at shopping centers to regularly clean the toilets during the day. We used to call them toilet cleaning ladies over here, nowadays, if there are still ones doing this, these people would be called Sanitary Maintenance Supervisor or Hygiene Maintenance Supervisor.

This job title hyperinflation has been expanding to software marketing. You have to sound like being the next best thing since sliced bread or whatever else that enables you to have a great impact on the world/future/whatever if you want to be noticed. Fluff has become almost as important as substance.

If I would have believed all the AutoCAD claims in the past then I would never have started using Vectorworks, so it is nothing new. It has become "just a bit" more hyperbolic than in the past. When I read such things I just smile (assuming it is entertaining to read) and carry on with whatever I was doing. 🙂

On 7/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, bc said:

So does this mean that ALL users will be able to utilize WinDoor?

Doesn't sound like it does it. It certainly doesn't sound like the acquisition of PanzerCAD and CameraMatch for instance.

I loved working with WinDoor but I actually prefer the Custom Sash Options approach in the native tool for complex windows. It just needs somebody to update the damn thing.

Also, from FAQ page:

Does this change the product offerings or pricing in Australia?
No, there are no plans to change product offerings or pricing.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2

Indeed, Christiaan

I too work with the Custom Sash and agree on the need for an "update".  Never mind regional specifics, shall we discuss simple sill creation?

I guess then I just don't see what the big deal is re. the acquisition for the majority of VW users. 

I DO congratulate Julian and feel good for his new direction/relationship. He deserves kudos for his past efforts.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Some information about Windoor -  “In addition, Vectorworks will acquire well-known plug-ins such as Windoor and AnimationWorks, along with local content and object libraries that are currently only available in Australia and New Zealand. Windoor will become available to Design Series product users outside of these geographies through our Partner Network for version 2022”

Thanks for the clarification.  That's good news.

16 hours ago, JuanP said:

Some information about Windoor -  “In addition, Vectorworks will acquire well-known plug-ins such as Windoor and AnimationWorks, along with local content and object libraries that are currently only available in Australia and New Zealand. Windoor will become available to Design Series product users outside of these geographies through our Partner Network for version 2022”

This is very interesting and welcome news indeed.

One question though, will Windoor be the "permanent solution" for advanced door functionality within VW? There has been discussion on this forum, regarding the roadmap, about the upcoming under-the-hood changes to the walls and thus to doors and windows as well. It's been said that the observed delays in updating the door and window tools to a more professional level have been delayed since the changes to walls and the way they work have to be implemented first. In other words, will Windoor be a temporary fix for international users, or a permanent one? I'd like to know before updating all subscriptions from Architect to Designer.

A related thought regarding the economics of this: It seems a long-awaited improvement in architectural functionality (doors and windows) hops to the Designer side of things. This means that even though an architect's practice (mostly) has no use for the Spotlight or Landscape functionalities, they would have to pay for the Design series to access a decent door tool, which should be basic architectural functionality. Maybe I'm thinking about this completely backwards but still...however I'm glad that at least an improvement to the current situation is available, at all.

Edited by JMR

I understood 'Design Series product' to refer to any of the Architect, Landmark or Spotlight packages. So you wouldn't need to upgrade to Designer to benefit.

And yes I would expect (hope) Windoor to just be a temporary fix. It seems like of all the regional window/door tools it's not necessarily the most attractive one anyway:

Edited by Tom W.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
52 minutes ago, MarcelP102 said:

Perhaps there will be another round of Teaser Tuesday like previous years?

With the public Roadmap available on our website, we are changing the teaser Tuesday's content a bit now. Instead, we will be releasing some videos going over the themes for this release. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, line-weight said:

The problem with the roadmap is that (as far as I can see) it doesn't commit anything to a specific timescale, so we have no idea whether things shown on it will appear in 1, 5 or 10 years' time. A map with no scale.

That is common for most road maps, those that do include a version will instead not commit on when that version will be released.

A lot of software companies got burned a few times too often by committing to a release date and then having to announce it wouldn't happen after all because of complexity, programmer's having left/become ill/whatever etc. Only if it is fairly certain that a release date will be met they'll commit to that.

Just look at the Affinity software roadmap, they say a feature will be ready and implemented when it is ready, no commitment on any release dates. Or Autodesk not solving AutoCAD Civil bugs for more than 10 years. Compared to them Vectorworks isn't that slow after all. 🙂  (Though some long standing bugs could and should have been fixed by now).

• Like 2
17 hours ago, line-weight said:

The problem with the roadmap is that (as far as I can see) it doesn't commit anything to a specific timescale, so we have no idea whether things shown on it will appear in 1, 5 or 10 years' time. A map with no scale.

You managed to solicit these replies in the original Roadmap thread:

18 hours ago, Art V said:

That is common for most road maps, those that do include a version will instead not commit on when that version will be released.

A lot of software companies got burned a few times too often by committing to a release date and then having to announce it wouldn't happen after all because of complexity, programmer's having left/become ill/whatever etc. Only if it is fairly certain that a release date will be met they'll commit to that.

Yes it is common for most road maps.  But still it is not a good reference for the roll-out.  We will be getting "themes" presented in videos. I can hear the music now.....