Site Model from Contours - poor automatic surface creation

Poot

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem where creating a site model from source contours is changing those contours for reasons I cannot understand. (source file attached)

As you can see below, I have worked out all the contours so there where the details should be OK (early stages here).

image.png.3fb7fd0c302aedc6d8483df801418644.png

However, one corner for example is giving me problems for unknown reasons.... You can see below that the contours are drawn cleanly where there is a sharp rise (wall basically)

image.thumb.png.c6b8e2f5f9a199798c4ab82f7a80ecba.png

Yet when the surface is generate from these contours, it does some very funny things that totally change these contours.

image.thumb.png.d0d04e4399aeea1c2fdaafa3a210972a.pngimage.thumb.png.6e9e54ecdb4b8847a3475703a4aedf2b.png

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.96bc404bb70a45ac6e19bc0024b1eaf4.jpg

I have tried several options like adding in some extra 3d geometry, grade modifiers afterwards on the proposed site, which gets closer, but there is quite a number of large artifacts that aren't always explained (some are usually my error)

Am I missing something here?  I could in Theory try using all of these contours again as site modifiers, but that seems a bit odd....

Example.vwx

Edited by Poot

Thanks for the tips! I was pretty sure the problems were all on my side...

I understand the points on simplifying polys. They are typical for source contours we receive during the start of a project, or generated in Civil from a surface. 

I'm the only one in the office working with VW at the moment, so my workflow involves bringing drawings over from AutoCAD/Civil into VW for 3d modelling, BIM, etc.  I am in the process of figuring out the simplest way of doing this, which of course would be largely solved if starting work in VW directly.

Edited by Poot
  • Like 1