"Revert to previous view" command

livespace josha

Question

Feature request or maybe somebody has a good workflow. Hopefully my parenthesis will emphasis what I'm trying to get across...

- I'm working on a drawing "zoomed out"

- I need to "zoom in" on a specific item to do something...edit some geometry, add a locus, add an alignment marker, move an object, etc.

- I need to "zoom back out" to where I was before to continue what I was doing.

My idea is maybe a new undo command that ONLY works on view changes (I know you can do the opposite...group view changes into a single undo). And then map this to a hot-key or mouse button 

...or maybe a bit of volatile memory that always logs "drastic" view changes

...or a function that always updates a saved view (x, y, zoom, render, standard view, etc) every # seconds, with a command to recall it

Undo won't work because I'd undo the work I did while "zoomed in"

Currently, saved views would work, but you have to remember to save a location before you changed views.

The loupe tool kinda (z) works, but you can't really edit anything while zoomed in. 

Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

I've looked at that arrow for 4 years, and never knew what it did...wow.

It works, but could the "group view changes" idea be implemented into this command?

- if you zoom in -> pan -> zoom in again-> pan again, that is 4 keystrokes you have to do in order to get back to where you were. It's easier (for me) just to zoom out and pan  because the tools are right on my mouse.

thanks @Pat Stanford, this made me do some investigating:

- the grouping of view changes is only for the "Undo" command, not next/previous view changes.

- the general "Undo" command gets logged as a view change. Example: if I have the preference set to grouping and I do the following commands: [pan-pan-pan-pan-undo], I go back to my original view. But this gets logged as 5 view changes, and I would need to hit "previous view" 5 times to get back to where I started

- I use my mouse's roller wheel for zoom. But depending on how fast I zoom, it logs the zoom as a single (large) view change or multiple (smaller/incremental) changes.