Referencing a model onto a site plan.

Hello, 

New user here, though have worked through a lot of tutorials and tuition. 

We have a site plan derived from a survey. The plan and the survey can not move as they have been set up to project datums and survey coordinates (UK OSBM). We are trying to reference in the ground floor of our building into the site plan. The building is drawn to it's own coordinate system (simply put the bottom left corner is 0,0). When we reference in the building to the site plan and move it to the correct location on the plan - if the reference is updated, the building returns to 0,0 (its coordinate point) in the site plan. We have the 'ignore source origin' box ticked in the reference edit options, but that doesn't seem to work and it keeps returning to the it's own position. This one has us stumped. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

Are you using design layer referencing or viewport referencing? 

What you describe shouldn’t happen with viewport referencing but I think will with dl referencing.

To do vp ref go to view>create vp.

In the dialogue choose a design layer to place your vp on (it has to be a dl)

Once a dl for the vp is chosen the “Source” button is no longer grayed out and you can choose an external reference file.

You should be able to move the ref dlvp anywhere and it should stick.

The other possiblity it is some quirk of geo referencing but I don’t use that so can’t help on that front.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Steve White said:

if the reference is updated, the building returns to 0,0 

I think I have never tried so far in the past.

(But I would also need this for a current project in the near future)

I am pretty sure this should not happen.

Edited by zoomer
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

But why at all should any XREF Update reset the previous position ?

If he is using old style design layer referencing then any changes to the referenced design layers will be lost when the reference is updated. That's what I think might be happening.

• Like 1