Roof, Gable end fascia dimension

bohlr

I have created a gable end roof with a 12" overhang. The fascia depth defaults to the roof thickness using both the "create roof from walls" and the "roof face commands"). Is the a way to control the gable end fascia depth so that it matches the eave fascia depth - say 6"?

Richard,

I know one way to do it: Create two ROOF OBJECTS or ROOF FACES), the first would be 6" thick, and aligned for the finished overhang/fascia. The second object(s) would be a duplicate of the first, but would have no overhang, would represent the rest of the framing thickness and would be moved down (lower "z" value) as approriate.

Using this method cann be a bit confounding at first, but the end result allows for more control (eg: you can apply different textures/colors to each object). For ease I recommend creating a class for each of the types of objects so that they can be turned on or off as needed for various different views.

Hope this helps...

Peter Cipes, PBD

Ashland, Oregon

Robert:

The problem I have had with this issue is when you go to texture the fascia. The roof tool will apply say a wood texture to the eaves and a shingle to the roof surface, but it won't apply the wood texture to the gable end fascia. I ended up using reshaped walls with a wood texture for the gable ends set back 6 inches. Now I guess I will have to add 1"thick extrusions to the gable fascia so that I can texture the ends. Not great but it will work. It would be nicer if the roof tool had greater flexibility in this area.