Joining Walls

Bob Levin

Im new. I just got VW Architect 10.5. I can't get the walls to join when drawing with the wall tool. my wall type is standard 2x4x96 . I have 3 cavities checked.stud with drywall each side. I can't get an interior wall to join cleanly to an exterior wall. The "Auto join Walls" is checked by default in the preferences. Its a pain to have to select the wall Join tool or the Cavity Join tool and mess with the wall every time I join a wall. The five default constraints are still set. Any help would be appreciated. I'm really opptomistic about this program.

Yes Robert. The walls highlight when using the wall tool. I must clarify. The wall does connect ok, however it is not a clean connection. one line is left and I then have to use the join cavity wall tool to open it up to form a clean connection. by the way,when I edit the wall type to "single cavity" It makes a clean connection. Thanks for your input.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Your clarification makes sense. Right now, there's no way for any multi-cavity wall to know which cavity to join to an adjacent multi-cavity wall. However, the good news is that, once you have joined two walls, you can move the wall (with connected walls mode on) or reshape the wall (from the other end) and the cavity connections auto-heal. And this works no matter how complex the cavity joins.

It's just a matter or drawing a few walls, independently of each other, and using the (I meant "Join") tool, clicked on two walls. An error message appears about 50% of the time, to the effect that the two walls can't intersect. However, if you use the Control-J command, they do join. (This is the Windows version.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ah, so you're not describing a failure in auto heal - you're describing a problem with either the join tool or the join command. First, is the problem with the tool or the menu command? Second, if the problem is with the tool, is it affected by which mode you have enabled (tee or ell?)

And the bad news is that you can no longer grab a wall and drag it off the plan (say, for later reuse), nor can you any longer highlite a group of walls and drag them to a new location (in order to reorganize your drawing), whether or not you are using autojoin. Also, this auto heal feature doesn't work with the nudge command. In addition, the heal tool works only sometimes.