database for general and key notes

hello there -

i'd like to start using the database functions for note management in architect 10.5 and have a few questions regarding the general setup:

1) can general notes and key-notes share the same database? it would be good not having to maintain two databases in parallel, but at first glance, there seem to be two different formats.

2) can the database(s) live on a shared network drive? if so, would two users be able to access them simultaniously?

3) i created, copied and renamed a few database files and located them on a network drive. now i get stuck in the keynote preferences, when trying to select another active note database. whatever i'm trying to do leads to the following script error message:

Error: _159 _7 - Index outside array limits.

any way to fix that without a complete re-install? please advise.

thanks,

dietmar

First of all, you have to know that the any data base file, which exists as a text file format, has limitation of 250 lines. In other words, if the file has more than 250 lines of notes, it will give an error message (your third question might be resloved here) . This means that you have to divide and orgainze somehow your note data base into several files and change up & down in Keynote preference menu to move around them.

Locating these text files in a server seems to be working file so far in our experience.

thanks for your info regarding the 250 line limit. it's quite a limitation on the usefullness of a database if you constantly have to switch between different files. i was hoping to share notes between the general- and keynote databases. now it appears that i'd even have to split the general notes in different database files rather than sections within one database file. (dear monitor / tech supporter: why isn't that mentioned in the manual? it's always helpful to know where the ceiling is before you bang your head on it...).

but back to my most pressing problem: i can't change the (corrupted?) active keynote database in the keynote preferences. whatever i'm trying to do (add/remove/edidt), a vector script error message pops up "error: _43 _46 - Index outside array limits." (the numbers vary). closing the error message takes me back into the drawing. what can i do about that?

Try this before you modify keynote or general note text files in text editor. Erease some notes from key notes manager so that the list falls under 250 lines. If your problem goes away, they you can create another data base so that you can add more notes. If you still have the problem, you might want to open the text file and see whether it is sound or not.

hong - in the keynote manager, the "sample keynote" db is active. in the keynote prefs, however, it's stuck on one of the databases i created, and i can't change it without being kicked out of the dialogue box with "Error: _159 _7 - Index outside array limits." in other words, i can't change the active db any longer. none of the databases involved exceed 250 lines at this point.

Let's check this. The default key data base files are stored under VW/plug-ins/common/data/. You can erase the database file, the text file that you created.

This might direct you to the default keynote database file and you can start over.

Before you earse I recommend to copy it somewhere else if you like to keep the content.

Is this problem showing up for every file or just one?

Let me know if it works. hongchoe@shookkelley.com